Monday, July 31, 2006

TRADE DEADLINE

Couldn't let the deadline pass without a quick comment. I'm still not sure if the Mets have Scott Linebrink - ESPNEWS is a little vague on this. One guy kept mentioning that the Mets swung Oliver Perez to the Padres for Linebrink....the rest of the station keeps saying only that the Mets traded Xavier Nady to the Pirates for Perez and Roberto Hernandez.

If the Met have Hernandez and Linebrink, that's a good deal. I'd say it makes their bullpen a lot better, but then there's this Duaner Sanchez situation...which sets the Mets way back. The only thing that makes me hesitate is that if the Mets think they're getting last year's Roberto Hernandez, I don't think they are. There's the chance he wasn't as good in Pittsburgh because they aren't competing, and he'll be in good shape back in a pennant race. But I watched him pitch a little this year, and he didn't look as good. I admit I don't know much about Linebrink, but a lot of teams wanted him, so I guess it's good the Mets got him.

This Sanchez story makes my mouth hurt (although, that could be the oral sugery). Apparently he was in a cab in Miami, there was a car accident, he suffered a separated shoulder, and is out for the rest of the season. That's awful. He was THE number one surprise for the Mets this year, not knowing what the Mets were getting from LA for Jae Seo - and he's been nothing short of awesome. The Mets can only hope Linebrink and/or Hernandez come close to filling the hole he'll be leaving.

Also, I am shocked the Mets traded Nady. Really. I though for at least the next five years the Mets outfield would be Lastings Milledge in left, Carlos Beltran in center, and Nady in right. Either the Mets are liking what they're seeing from Victor Diaz, and want him there, or they have long-term plans for Endy Chavez (he's 28). I'm really surprised - I didn't think Nady was going anywhere. I had read recently he was a little miffed about Chavez getting so much playing time, but that he was going to get some at-bats coming up against a bunch of lefties. I wonder what else there is to this story.



MAGIC NUMBER: It's 45 now, thanks to the Marlins win over the Phillies on Monday afternoon.

Also Monday afternoon:

CHASE'S CHASE: The hit streak is at 32 games. That's exciting.

I'll definitely be OK to write Tuesday night. I need some rest though.

P.S. Oral surgery sucks.

No comments: