Thursday, July 27, 2006

There was no Mets game on Thursday, but the second-place Atlanta Braves did play...and lost, so the Mets' magic number decreased by one, to 50. The Mets have a chance to do some real damage this weekend, playing at Atlanta - they can really knock that number way down. Of course, there's the real possibility that the Mets' thrashing of the Braves this weekend will allow the Marlins to take over second place in the NL East (or maybe even Philadelphia), which would slow down the magic number process. It might also make it more difficult to calculate. But I don't think there's any scenario where the number would increase...so that's good.

There are a couple of e-mails I want to address/respond to on this off-day, the second of them which I've been meaning to get to for a while. But first, this:

"Johnnymets -

My prediction was September 15th.

Other thoughts: Do you think the Mets will pull off a clutch trade? Do you think they need to do anything? Would you, acting as GM, trade Milledge and Pelfrey for Dontrelle Willis? My thought is YES. Let me know what you think.

Steve from Queens"

First off, September 15th is Steve's response to my request yesterday to repeat his prediction of when the Mets would clinch the division. He had told me, but I forgot. So he says September 15, which would beat the 1986 Mets' division-clinching by 2 days. Anytime you clinch that early in September, you're running away with the division. I think there's a chance the Mets might actually beat the 15th of September, looking at the magic number and everything. It's crazy to think the Mets might win the division before the Jets' second game of the season (more on the Jets later).

As for the trades, I do think the Mets will do something, but I don't think they'll be involved in a blockbuster of the Willis type. I don't think they should give up both Milledge and Pelfrey - I'd be willing to see one go for an upgrade in the starting rotation, who would be in the rotation into next year and beyond - but not both. I agree with all those who say the Mets need another starter if for no other reason than to take some of the strain off of the bullpen, which has been worked hard to this point in the season. Pedro Martinez* comes back Friday, yes, but I don't see him pitching many innings per start for a little while now, and the other starters haven't shown the ability lately to go much past the sixth inning (barely even getting out of the fifth in some cases). So I see the Mets getting someone along the lines of a Livan Hernandez (though I really hope they don't get him) - not someone along the lines of Barry Zito or Dontrelle Willis. I just don't see it happening. But I expect something to go down by Sunday night.

Then there's this e-mail, from my cousin. I'm only printing the PS part of it, because the rest of it will go on the Jets site, johnnyjets.blogspot.com. (You must understand that my cousin is the opposite of the Southern Bureau - whereas the Southern Bureau is into baseball, and roots for football teams, but doesn't care as much, my cousin is take-it-or-leave-it with baseball and lives and dies for football.):

"PS- I expect a response before the season starts if that won't distract you from that other blog. Give it up. The Mets don't have the starting pitching to win three rounds in the playoffs. I doubt they will win one. Get on to the important topic-JETS, Jets! Jets! Jets!"

Needless to say, my cousin, when he does watch baseball, is a Yankees fan. And you can tell his baseball ignorance from that comment - the Mets DEFINITELY have the starting pitching to win the first two rounds of the playoffs and get out of the National League portion of the playoffs. The World Series won't be easy, but like I said about a month ago, I think the interleague series helped the Mets prepare for when they do face an American League team again. And they got some of those big-game pressures out of the way during interleague play, what with Pedro*'s return to Fenway, and the two Yankees series. So that has to help - they'll be a little more prepared for it.

And one more response for my cousin and for all readers - I have revamped the Jets site just as I did the Mets site before this season. Last year was a disaster on the Jets site - it became just a spot to publish my picks (for entertainment purposes only, of course). I don't know that this year will be much better, with the new teaching position and the baby due about Week 4 of the season, but with Training Camp opening up on Friday, at least I can try to keep tabs on Chad Pennington's shoulder, and the Eric Mangini situation. So check out the Jets site, and remember to go back to that one while johnnymets.blogspot.com keeps tracking the Mets. (I've also been scouting for fantasy football the past couple of days, and that's made me a lot more excited about football season.)

THE KID'S KIDS: The information I could gather to the best of my ability indicates the St. Lucie-Lakeland game on Thursday was rained out.

ALFONZO'S COMEBACK: Edgardo Alfonzo got another start at 3B, and had another ofer, going 0-for-4, dropping his average to .182. At this point, I don't think we'll be seeing Alfonzo at Shea come September. He had said it was tough for him to hit with the Angels and Blue Jays this year because he wasn't playing regularly, and wasn't used to coming off the bench and hitting inconsistently. He's getting consistent time at Norfolk. Wonder how much longer the Mets let him work out the kinks...

BEAT THE STREAK: Bobby Abreu was just 1-for-4, but it was enough to get me up to a 7-gamer. On Friday I need look no further than the Mets-Braves game. Horacio Ramirez is starting for the Braves, which means I'm taking David Wright for Beat the Streak. He owns Ramirez, hitting 7-for-10 against him with 4 homers. I think he can manage a hit.

No comments: