Saturday, July 08, 2006

SPLIT DECISION

Marlins 3, Mets 2
Mets 17, Marlins 3 (NYM: 52-36, FLA: 38-47)

As much as the first game of Saturday's doubleheader was a disappointment, the second game was fun. The Mets only mustered three hits in Game 1, scoring twice on bases-loaded walks, while the Marlins hit 3 solo homers off John Maine to take a 3-2 win. The most excitement for the Mets in this one came in the eighth inning, when Cliff Floyd was hit with a pitch (AGAIN)...then in the top of the ninth, Duaner Sanchez drilled MIguel Cabrera, and Cabrera fussed a bit, as did Miguel Olivo, and the benches sort of emptied.

(As an aside, Floyd was hit two games in a row against the Pirates, and then the pitcher who hit him on Thursday kept trying to pick him off first, forcing him to dive into first base. Floyd was really ticked. So after the game, Floyd talked about how the Mets play the Pirates once more, September 15-17, and he wanted retaliation. He said, "Hopefully, Pedro* is pitching in that series." Prediction: The Mets will be involved in a brawl this season. I just hope when it happens, no one gets hurt. The Mets now have simmering fueds with the Nationals from early in the season, the Marlins from today, and the Pirates from this past series.)

Anyway, the Mets made up for that lack of offense in Game 2, blowing up for 17 runs on 16 hits to back a shaky Mike Pelfrey in his Major League debut.

Pelfrey didn't pitch great - 5 innings, 5 hits, 4 walks, 3 runs, 2 earned, 3 strikeouts, on 104 pitches - but it was neat that the Mets left him in for the 5 innings to get the win, with the big lead, and that he had tons of run support. I heard most of this game - saw a bit on TV, but I heard he threw in the mid-90's. It's exciting to have a young guy like this coming up. Hopefully he'll have a solid career, and be able to help out down the stretch here this year. Also looking to contribute is a guy named Henry Owens, who has flown under the radar, with all the attention focused on Pelfrey. He throws hard too, and was promoted from Binghamton when Pedro* went on the DL. He's pitched the past couple of nights, and has been effective. I get the feeling that his promotion was a little more to keep Pelfrey company than because he was ready for the majors, but he looks ready to contribute now too. The fashionable thing to say on New York radio right now is that maybe the Mets don't need to go trading for an arm at the deadline, because of the youngsters coming up right now.

The Mets got off to the early lead thanks to two early bases loaded situations. In the first, Jose Valentin hit a grand slam, and in the second, he tripled to clear the bases. Other things of note - don't look now, but in between getting hit by pitches, Cliff Floyd is swinging a very hot bat. He's starting to look like he did early last season. He was 3-for-4 in Game 2 (with 5 RBI), raising his average to .248. Carlos Beltran* hit his 25th homer in Game 2 as well.

The Marlins are a decent team, so it's not the worst thing in the world that the Mets lost 2 in a row to them....but it's not the best thing either. Hopefully the Mets hit the All-Star break on a winning note with a win Sunday, and get another win for Tom Glavine to boot.

THANKS: The computer is still down, so I don't know when I'll be able to post again (this is a rare Saturday night posting from the parent's house in Queens). But many, many thanks to good friends Dave in Brighton and Kevin in the JMDBSDC Southern Bureau. Your updates have been invaluable in my absence. I hope they've been as appreciated by the few other readers of the site (in case you haven't seen them - they're in the 'comments' section). Also, The Wife is going to try to do occasional updates on the site during work until the computer's back.

INTERESTING NOTE: My dad heard an interesting comment regarding the Scott Kazmir trade while watching the Yankees game on Friday night. Al Leiter was commenting, and said that in spring training one year, he and John Franco were on the treadmills, and Kazmir walked into the room, and took it upon himself to change the radio station. Leiter says he and Franco took Kazmir aside to set him straight - in the backwards world of major league sports, rookies can't do stuff like that. Well, the rumor became that Leiter and Franco got Kazmir traded. That's pretty ridiculous. I had heard that Leiter and Franco were responsible for Bobby Valentine getting fired, but I hadn't heard this about Kazmir. Stupid.

MOVIN' ON UP: It's common knowledge by now, but David Wright and Jose Reyes are on their way to the All Star Game for the first time after Sunday's game. Wright will definitely play, as well as participate in the Home Run Derby Monday night, and Reyes says he will still make the trip, despite the seven stitches in his hand. He says, smiling, "You have to go, right?" I guess he doesn't talk to Pedro Martinez* much. Anyway, they'll be joined in the game by Carlos Beltran* and Paul LoDuca, as well as Tom Glavine. Pedro* might be legitimately hurt, but his comment after being put on the DL was, "It's disappointing (regarding missing the All Star Game) because I really did want to go this year." Come on, Pedro*. You're not fooling anyone.

Oh, the Movin' On Up title refers to Wright. Not only is he now an All Star, but The Wife informed me he'll be on Letterman Wednesday night. So he's getting that national attention that's been bound to happen for a while.

BEAT THE STREAK: Beat the Streak has been a disaster for me lately, what with no computer and all. I need to get a 56-gamer going now, though. After I write this, I'll pick about a week's worth of players, and hopefully when I get computer access back, I'll have a 10-game streak going, and I'll be on my way to a cash prize, and World Series tickets, or whatever prize they offer.

IN OUR NEXT ISSUE: I was working on this big article rating the broadcasters across the Major Leagues, which I was going to release over the All Star break, but with the computer going down, I haven't finished the article, nor do I know if I'll be able to print it. Hopefully I'll get it on an off day or even before the end of the break - the Mets have the extra off-day after the All Star break this year (which I hate, but I guess I'll live). Also, it looks like I'm losing a lot of stuff because of our broken hard drive, so I think I'm going to have to re-download some graphics for the site. I tell ya - this is a disaster. Keep checking back, hopefully we'll be back and running for the Mets-Cubs series....and an All-Star Game recap.

No comments: