Sunday, July 30, 2006

I'm still not sure I understand this "Jets Nation" show's schedule. Apparently, it's just an off-season show, so Saturday was its last episode. Although, it will still be on during the regular season, with the same name, so I'm not sure how that works. And even though the show aired for the first time on Saturday, the day after the first day of training camp, it contained absolutely no information about the first day of training camp.

I do know this about "Jets Nation" on SNY, though - the show still sucks. It's just awful. Host Brian Custer is OK, but Greg Buttle is awful - he's just a blowhard. Ray Lucas is a less-loud version of a blowhard. Both guys talk in circles, so they don't really make a point, and it's just hard to follow what they're saying. So that's the first 10 minutes of the show - then, mercifully, they go away.

Then Adam Schein comes on. I didn't think I'd like Adam Schein. Once in a while, when I was working overnights, he'd be doing the overnight show on WFAN, and I'd catch his show, and I didn't think it was great, but it was far better than sports talk around here. But on this show on Saturday, Schein was awesome. Good opinions, backed up solidly, and he was a refreshing breath of fresh air coming after Buttle and Lucas. So Schein's presence on SNY shows some promise. But still no training camp info from the show.

So I have to resort, I guess, to the newspapers for my Jets info. Apparently, Chad Pennington, Patrick Ramsey, Brooks Bollinger, and draft pick Kellen Clemens are getting even amounts of time practicing with the first team. So everyone, at this point, is getting a fair shot at the number one quarterback job. Some are saying this is Eric Mangini's way of protecting Pennington's shoulder. I get the impression that this is Mangini's way of letting Pennington play himself out of a job. I don't get the impression Mangini likes Pennington - because he's not "his" guy. I think Mangini wants to groom Clemens for the job for next year, and wants Ramsey to win the job this year, as a transition guy. But I'm rooting hard for Pennington to prove everyone wrong.

Other news out of training camp is that Curtis Martin's situation seems to be pretty bleak. He's apparently really suffering from this injury and the rehabbing.

Justin McCareins is back practicing - he had failed a conditioning test, but passed it the next opportunity he got.

I think I heard that SNY is going to have a training camp Jets show during the week - they need to step up their coverage. There's lots going on at Jets camp, and lots of fans want to know about it...so it's SNY's responsibility to do a better job covering it. If they claim to be the station that covers the Jets year 'round, they'd better start showing it.

No comments: