Sunday, July 16, 2006

DEEP SIXTH

Mets 13, Cubs 7 (NYM: 55-37, CHI: 35-56)

After a really awful loss on Saturday, the Mets needed to take two out of three and beat the Cubs on Sunday. That didn't look too promising after El Duque exited in the second inning with the Mets trailing, 5-0. But the Mets did in this game what the Yankees did to them on national TV two weeks ago, overcoming an early deficit, and blowing out the other team.

The Mets used an 11-run 6th inning to do it. I had tried convincing myself all game that with the wind blowing out, the Mets could mount a comeback. Chris Woodward and Cliff Floyd (still heating up) hit solo homers, so it was 5-2, entering the sixth. But the Mets hadn't done anything too encouraging. Then Todd Walker bobbled a ground ball, and Carlos Beltran beat the throw to first. Carlos Delgado got a bloop hit. Then so did David Wright. And then Floyd homered in his second straight at bat, giving the Mets a 6-5 lead. And the best thing is - it wasn't over. The Mets made it 7-5, loaded the bases again, and then Beltran hit a grand slam, making it 11-5! Then, for good measure, David Wright hit a 2-run homer (career homer number 62), making it 11 runs in the 6th - the most the Mets have ever scored in an inning, and sending the Mets to victory.

Cliff Floyd was 2-for-4 with 5 RBI - raising his average to .256. Wright was 3-for-5. And the next stop for the Mets is Cincinnati, where they're very likely to continue hitting for power.

The only problem I have with Sunday's game is that Pedro Feliciano got the win. Now, the entire Mets' bullpen pitched very well, so they should all really split the win. But the man who really deserved the win was Darren Oliver - because he relieved Orlando Hernandez in the 2nd, stopped the Cubs from scoring again, and then pitched 2-and-a-third scoreless innings. He was lifted for a pinch-hitter, or he would have continued shutting down the Cubs. He has been so valuable this year - I just wish he could have had a win to show for his performance Sunday.

The Mets are off Monday - but I'll try to post something anyway. Then it's off to Cincinnati for three games starting on Tuesday.

REYES/PEDRO*: I haven't heard officialy word on THE GREATEST BALLPLAYER WHO EVER LIVED, Jose Reyes, but I saw him in the dugout Sunday night, and he no longer had his pinky finger in a splint - so I'm guessing he'll be back at shortstop Tuesday night when the Mets play again. No official word from the Mets - strict speculation on my part.

And after he spent Friday evening in a hospital, Pedro Martinez* is apparently doing much better from his bout of food poisoning. He threw before Sunday's game, and was seen joking around with someone on the Cubs during the game. So I think he's A-OK, and he's supposed to start now on Saturday - hopefully healthy for the stretch run.

OTHER TEAMS AND PLAYERS: It strikes me as potentially troublesome for the Chicago White Sox that they can't beat the teams from the AL East (Yankees swept them this weekend, Red Sox nearly swept them last weekend, taking two out of three - the third going 19 innings). It might indicate that even though two teams could come out of the Central in the AL, it might not be the American League's two best teams.

The Braves are making what could be their best run of the season - they swept the Padres out in San Diego this weekend. And I was watching some of these games, and I didn't realize that Chipper Jones had a 16-game hitting streak going, first of all, and second of all, he has had an extra-base-hit in 14 straight...which I think ties him with Paul Waner for best all-time. That's some feat...worth mentioning a Braves player.

COMMENTS: Thanks to Dave in Brighton for his attempt at reverse psychology regarding Carlos Beltran. Hope it works. So far, so good.

And thanks to the Southern Bureau for the insight into Paul O'Neill. The Southern Bureau also told me they're researching a possible johnnymets.blogspot.com story...the way it was presented made me a little nervous. I don't know what to expect.

THE KID'S KIDS: The St. Lucie Mets were shut out by Jupiter on Sunday, 3-0, snapping a 3-game winning streak. The Mets are 13-9, 3 games back of Daytona. But remember, they won the first half of the season.

BEAT THE STREAK: David Wright was my pick on Sunday, and he extended my streak to two. Really, I need to get this streak into double digits. I'm going with the aforementioned Chipper Jones for ONE NIGHT ONLY - the first Brave I've ever picked for anything. But I'm riding the hot hand - I don't care if he gets an extra-base hit - he just needs a base hit - and against Jeff Weaver of the Cardinals, I hope he'll get it.

No comments: