Monday, July 17, 2006

The Mets were off Monday, as the gigantic graphic to the left seems to indicate. I'm stil trying to work out the bugs here - I'm trying to get these pictures going, but it might be a while before I get them right. I still don't know how I went as long as I did without a computer - so computer with no pictures is better than no computer at all. A few thoughts on this off day, with not much news coming out of the Mets' camp today.

SATURDAY'S GAME: I forgot to mention one more thing from Saturday's game against the Cubs, which was a disaster. Ever since Harry Caray died, the Cubs have had someone different sing 'Take Me Out To The Ballgame' during the seventh-inning stretch to the crowd - something Caray used to do. Saturday's guest - one Bill Buckner. It was awful - embarrassing, really...but I suppose with all the former athletes they have doing this, they must get a lot of clunkers. I wasn't prepared for this clunker, though, I'll tell you that. It was bad. Anyway, not only do the Cubs trot out Buckner (a batting champion with the Cubs during his tenure there) against the Mets, the team who he has his worst memory against (a la the Red Sox celebrating the 1986 American League championship against the Mets), but WGN shows his name in a graphic that says "Bill Bucknor". That's just unacceptable. Now, CB Bucknor happened to be the home plate umpire, so they could probably blame spell check or something - but get a clue. That's awful.

One more thing about Buckner - I believe he wasn't off scouting colleges with his teenage son during the 1986 celebration at Fenway last month, as the reporters said he was. I think he just didn't want to come. During the interview with Buckner, he stressed how much he loved playing in Chicago, how the fans were so knowledgable, like no others he played in front of (he also played with the Dodgers, Angels and Royals), and the fans in Chicago appreciated the players. He really stressed the appreciation part. Sounded like a shot at Boston fans to me...but then again, he never cost the Cubs a World Series championship (or, as I like to say, the chance to continue playing Game 6 of the World Series - because, if he caught that grounder, the game was going to the 11th inning). So I don't know - I just think Buckner has a grudge against Red Sox fans, as well he should. People talk about how the 2004 World Series absolves people like Buckner for their roles in Red Sox collapses...but that doesn't make up for all the harrassment he has received since then. If I was Buckner, I wouldn't have come back, either.

SI COVER HIJINKS: It was brought to my attention last weekend that the Mets were on the cover of Sports Illustrated this week. I would have known that myself if the mailman had delivered my copy on time - usually I get it on Thursday - I didn't receive mine until Monday. I can draw just one conclusion - the mailman is a Mets fan, and wanted to read the article over the weekend. Which I'd be fine with. Something tells me, though, that's not the case.

I read the article - it's about what great team chemistry the Mets have. The headline sure is an attention-grabber, though: "Welcome to Rip City: The Adventures of Captain Red Ass And the Intrepid Mets". They mention the term "red ass" once in the article - it's apparently Paul LoDuca. And the fact that it's mentioned once in the article means Tom Verducci probably didn't even want to mention it once, but his editor heard the nickname, and said, "That's AWESOME! We have to run that." And Verducci probably protested a little, but lost...and thus, the magazine-selling-headline. Anyway, great team chemistry, highlighted by the fact that the Mets have silly nicknames for everyone, and they make fun of each other relentlessly. Good article.

BLAST FROM THE PAST: Going slightly under the radar this weekend - the Mets signed former Met Edgardo Alfonzo to a minor league contract on Saturday. Alfonzo is now 32, and he was fun to watch hit coming up through the organization....but has really hit the skids recently. Last season he was with the Giants, and hit .277. This year he started with the Angels, hitting .100 through April and May. He was released and signed by the Blue Jays, spending part of June in Toronto, hitting .162. He was released again, and now the Mets signed him. Monday was his first day in Norfolk, and we'll keep tabs on him to see if he could be a contributor late in the season. I think Last-Place Lastings (Norfolk is still a half-game out of last, by the way) has had its day - since he came to the Majors and we saw what he has to offer it's not much fun following his minor league days anymore, so maybe now we'll follow Alfonzo in the minors. I expect if the Mets have any designs on promoting Alfonzo, it would be as a second baseman...perhaps making a guy like Chris Woodward or even the hot Jose Valentin expendable....if Alfonzo proves to be a legit alternative. If he can't hit anymore, though, he'll be released again, I'm sure.

THE KID'S KIDS: A Mets win, over Jupiter, 6-3. The Mets take on a couple of teams from the western division next, then a big series with Daytona, who they're chasing in the second half.

ALFONZO'S COMEBACK: Edgardo Alfonzo was supposed to be with the Norfolk Tides Monday, but didn't play. We'll keep you posted.

BEAT THE STREAK: Chipper Jones didn't get an extra base hit, so at least he didn't set a record, which makes me happy. He did have a few singles, though, to keep my hitting streak going. I'm at 3 now. Tuesday night I'm taking Mike Piazza - did you know he's got his average back up to .290 entering play Monday night? I'm happy for him about that - hopefully he hits .300 this year.

COMING UP:

  • The Southern Bureau has been working hard, and has blown me away with a fantastic article comparing the 2004 Red Sox and 1986 Mets. It's so good I almost scrapped this whole article to run it. The Mets don't have another off day for a week and a half, but they play really early on Thursday, so I think I'll run the Southern Bureau's article then.
  • I'm also expecting an article from Justin in NYC, entitled, "My Dinner With Don Mattingly". Of course, Mattingly's not affiliated with the Mets, but Justin's article should be entertaining enough to merit printing on this Mets site.

AND FINALLY.....

A year ago at this time, I probably could have gotten away with a frivolous purchase like the one you see at the right. But now I'm having a child, and apparently having children affects the way one can spend money. So for now, I'm not allowed to order johnnymets.blogspot.com t-shirts in bulk. But nothing's stopping you from e-mailing me with your interest level, and your shirt size. And nothing's stopping me from checking out the cost of customized baseball caps.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Maybe you could still get a t-shirt, but in a kids size. That way everybody wins, except of course for Mrs. Johnnymets.