Wednesday, June 28, 2006

RED SOX A LOT, METS A LITTLE

(game's not over yet, so I don't know the final score)

I think the Mets are making too much of this series. I know it's a big series, what with Pedro Martinez* making his return to Fenway Park and pitching against his former team for the first time. And it's also the best team in the National League against the team that's tearing up the NL during Interleague play. But I think the Mets are making too much of that, and they're not showing the team they really are. This is just ugly. The Mets are playing bad baseball - they're making errors (looking at you, Milledge), they're not making smart plays (Pedro*), and they're doing bad elementary baseball like missing cutoff men. That's not the stuff that's gotten them to 47 wins thus far.

That's not to take anything away from the Red Sox, though - they're playing some really good baseball right now. Really good. They're a good team - but I don't think they're this good - they're just clicking all around right now, which is too bad for the Mets. (It doesn't help, though, that the Mets aren't pitching well - Pedro* got rocked tonight, and Alay Soler threw as many ball as strikes on Tuesday night - so it's a little bit of bad pitching to go with the great hitting.)

Now, Carlos Delgado has just homered, and things can't get much worse defensively, and it's still early...so maybe the Mets can make a comeback here. But the truth is, both Tuesday's game and Wednesday's game have been dreadful. (OK...later on in the game, I'm realizing a comeback isn't happening.)

I'll touch on Tuesday's game a minute - I took zero pictures. I just didn't feel like taking out the camera. Before the game the Red Sox honored their 1986 American League Championship team - and on the scoreboard it said something like "Welcome 1986 Champs". They didn't say AL...so that would be the Mets. I still think that ceremony should have waited for the Angels to be in town. I will say, though, that the Red Sox made a very classy move by putting a video tribute on the board for Pedro Martinez*, spurring a standing ovation for him in between innings. That was a really nice move, and it set the tone for Wednesday night.

Back to Wednesday's game...a big disappointment. But that's what I expected (except I expected a Mets win in the deal). I didn't think it would live up to the hype...I thought Josh Beckett would get rocked in the Beckett-Martinez* duel. Instead, Pedro* got killed, Milledge didn't help, and Pedro* didn't help himself by prolonging the first inning by making a mental error, getting just one out instead of two. It could have been a whole different game there. And it cost Pedro* the opportunity to win a game against the Red Sox - which would have made him one of a very few players (I forget how many have done this) to get a win against all 30 Major League teams. That doesn't look like it's going to happen.

I really think the Tom Glavine-Curt Schilling matchup on Thursday will live up to the hype...and I really hope the Mets can come away from this series with a win, heading into a weekend series against the Yankees. I think they need to relax a bit, and not play so tight. Loosen up and play like they've been playing all year.

ANNOUNCER SWAP: Ron Darling spent an inning with Don Orsillo on NESN, while Jerry Remy visited SNY. I was under the impression it was going to be the full game...I was wrong. Darling did a nice job. We have SNY blacked out, so I don't know what went on with Remy, but I'm sure it was awesome. NESN showed him in the SNY booth - and he brought his little Wally in his Adirondack chair with him to the SNY booth. So that alone is awesome.

Also - I wonder if this is part of NESN and SNY trying to develop a comfortable working relationship, in advance of a possible post-season meeting (not just Mets-Red Sox - even something Red Sox-Yankees). Not only did they swap analysts, but the SNY open had some of the exact same treated video of Pedro* in their open as NESN did in theirs.

MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL ROUNDUP: I know he's pitched well, but I just love that Roger Clemens is 0-2 after two starts. I hope he loses them all.

Jae Seo was traded again - the Dodgers sent him to the Devil Rays on Tuesday (along with Dioner Novarro for Mark Hendrickson and Toby Hall). That's a decent trade for the Dodgers, because Hendrickson has been pitching really well lately. I saw Seo pitching for Tampa tonight - not sure if he was starting or not - but he's wearing uniform number 98. Not sure why. That's an odd number, though.

FUN & GAMES: The Wife spotted Mr. Met in the background of a shot in the first inning, walking around Fenway Park with Wally the Green Monster. Good eyes by her. But it reminded me that I forgot to mention a couple of weeks ago that Mr. Met was in Kansas City to help their mascot celebrate his birthday. So he's really making the rounds.

THE KID'S KIDS: The St. Lucie Mets haven't played in a while - after being rained out on Sunday, Monday and Tuesday's games were all postponed because of wet grounds. Lots of weather problems in Florida - we'll see if they get tonight's game in.

FANTASY UPDATE: The What If Nationals are facing elimination - down 2 games to none in the Wild Card playoff round to the What If Reds. I wouldn't mind them losing the next game so I never have to visit that site again.

BEAT THE STREAK: Nothing to cool off the hottest player in baseball, Jose Reyes, like me taking him in Beat The Streak. Thursday I'll go with Carlos Lee to hit a bomb off of Mark Prior.

No comments: