Monday, June 26, 2006

DUMBEST IDEA I'VE EVER HEARD

I hate to take a shot at the Red Sox (no I don't), and their flagship station, WEEI (hands-down the worst sports radio station in America), but with the Mets coming to town to play three games, all bets are off - it's time to start trash-talking them anyway.

I need to qualify why I was listening to WEEI in the first place - because it NEVER plays into my radio rotation anymore. God bless ESPN Radio coming to Boston (although that was nearly ruined by ESPN Radio Boston centering its programming around Michael Felger of the Boston Herald....but I digress). I'm picking up some summer work at a baseball camp - it is during the day, and it ends at 1pm. So today, as I was driving home, I figured I'd listen to the Red Sox-Phillies makeup game...hence, WEEI 850AM is on my car radio.

With the Mets coming to town, the Red Sox are honoring their 1986 American League Champions (this seems odd to me - I don't know that you should celebrate a team that lost a World Series when the team you lost the World Series to is in town...maybe when the Angels are in town - the team you beat to reach the World Series...but I digress again). There will be a celebration before Tuesday night's game. But Monday night, with the gap in programming (it was supposed to be a Sox off day, it became a Sox day game), WEEI decided to re-air Game 6 of the 1986 World Series. And they aired a promo for this during the Sox game....and they tease it as "Tune in to Game 6 of the 1986 World Series - with a NEW ending!"

This isn't a TV sitcom, where you can change the ending....it's a piece of history - you just can't change it. Now, I'm all for honoring your 1986 accomplishments - but don't fictionalize something traumatic for your fans...instead, focus on the positives - replay a game the Sox won in the 1986 World Series. Replay Game 5 of the ALCS of that year (the Dave Henderson game). Don't change the ending of Game 6 of the World Series. Ugh. I'm tempted to switch on 850 to see what they change the ending to (apparently it was a contest won by a listener, picking a new ending) - but that would go against everything I believe in. I can't turn on 850. I'll just wait and see if it's written about in the newspaper tomorrow - I'm sure I'll hear about it somewhere.

Speaking of tomorrow - It'll be Alay Soler against Jon Lester in the first game of the series - and it can't hurt that the Sox had to play 12 innings today.

Also...the Red Sox are now 11-1 against the National League, the Mets are the best team in the National League, and they're starting to get some national recognition...this is going to be a big series. Not to mention the return of Pedro* on Wednesday.

****UPDATE: SMARTEST IDEA I'VE EVER HEARD: The Mets and Red Sox are swapping broadcasters on Wednesday night. Ron Darling will analyze the game with Don Orsillo on NESN, and Jerry Remy will join Gary Cohen and Keith Hernandez on SNY. I think that's just great. I'm glad I'm not going to the Pedro* game now.****

COMPUTER PROBLEMS: I'm really trying to get pictures on - hopefully I'll have pictures of Tuesday night's Red Sox-Mets game (I'll be there)....but at the rate this computer is working, I'm lucky to even get this post up. So hopefully pictures will be on soon, but I'm just glad I can write anything.

THE KID'S KIDS: The St. Lucie Mets' 8-1 win on Sunday gave them sole possession of first place in the division in the second half of the season (3-1). Monday's game between the Mets and Brevard County was rained out - It will be made up as part of a doubleheader on Tuesday.

FANTASY UPDATE: I took 1 out of 4 versus the What If Nationals, ending the season 74-88. The Nationals did indeed clinch the Wild Card, so good for the Southern Bureau. As for Dave in Brighton's posting alluding to possible collusion, I respond by saying that I hardly think not starting the same guy for four games in a row qualifies as collusion...quite the contrary, I think it's smart What If Baseball. What a disaster this was. 20 bucks right down the toilet. Chalk one up for The Wife - she saw that coming. I'll keep you posted on the Nationals success (hopefully he'll win the whole darn thing.)

P.S. - I just got a message to play again with the same group of people. No thank you.

BEAT THE STREAK: Bobby Abreu got a hit - I'm at 2 games. I'm going with the hottest ballplayer in the majors, Jose Reyes, for Tuesday and Wednesday at Fenway.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think collusion is much more Valentine-era Mets than Randolph-era.