Friday, June 02, 2006

A HAPPY CAMPER

Except for the rainout in Queens on Friday night, everything went well this week. Everyone made it back from our camping trip in good shape, the Mets did OK while I was gone (another no-decision for Pedro*?!....ugh), The Wife did a great job filling in, and I didn't get eaten by a bear....not even this one:

I didn't exactly have to rough it - we did stay in cabins, like the one you see on the left (that's my bed) - but the closest I got to seeing anything baseball related was the kickball games during free time back at the campground.

Still, this was one of the biggest adventures of my life - and I lucked out, because I only had to miss two Mets games, even though I was gone for most of four days.

I am very surprised the Mets called up Lastings Milledge. I thought they were going to go the entire year with him at Triple-A, so as not to put much pressure on him. If Nady were to be disabled, I would have thought we'd see Victor Diaz come up. Either Diaz is running low on options (to be honest, I'm not sure how that works, exactly), or the Mets are taking this opportunity to showcase Lastings Milledge to the A's in the hopes of landing Barry Zito. Or maybe they're just giving teams a taste of what Milledge could do in the majors. I'm not sure. It's strange though.

I don't think I could "bear" it if they traded Milledge, though. My only response would be, "Oh, Deer."


I can't believe the wife actually kept all of these features going while I was away - she was under no obligation to do so. (But I'm pleased that she did.)

THE KID'S KIDS: The St. Lucie Mets have seen their lead over Brevard County be cut to just a half-game. They lost to Tampa, 14-8, Thursday night. I don't have any info yet on Friday night's game.

FANTASY UPDATE: Maybe I'm doing something right with the "What If" Mets when I tinker with the lineup, because while I was away, they tanked. They've lost 7 out of 9, including all three on Friday. I'm back to just a couple of games above .500, and I'm about 9 games out of first, but I'm still within a game or two of the wild card leader.

BEAT THE STREAK: Mike Lowell got me up to three games on Friday. With the Mets' doubleheader on Saturday, I'm taking Jose Reyes. (All he needs to do is get a hit in one of the games to continue my streak - hits in both games don't count as two streak games - still just one.)

No comments: