Thursday, June 08, 2006

Not much to say tonight - got home late, so I have to go to bed, but I had to post to say a couple of things.

First off, I'm glad the Mets won on Wednesday night. Tom Glavine, after all the hard losses he's taken the past couple of years, deserved to win on a night he got rocked. First of all, he took one for the team by starting on three days' rest. He should have been able to pitch long enough on Saturday to get a win, but he left with a no-decision, because he was to be rested for last night's start. And it was by far the worst start of his season, but he still became the majors' first 9 game winner - he deserves that. It's also neat that he's racking up the wins, and inching closer to 300 career wins - Imagine he was getting Pedro*'s luck this year? He'd never reach 300. Now to the regular features, where I need to get this other stuff written, then go to bed (the Mets are beating Arizona right now, 5-0, in the 5th, by the way):

MAIL: I'm not sure if this is for publication, but Justin sent it to the johnnymetsmail@yahoo.com address, so here it is:

"so, i just read that jeff pearlman book on the 86 mets.. the one i was thumbing through when we stayed at your house in january...
two things struck me...
1) i had no idea the entire world hates gary carter. Until i read that book.. i figured he was a beloved figure, but it sounds like not only did they hate him them... they still hate him now..
2) and more importantly.. the way those mets always seemed to come back in games and never quit reminds me a lot of these mets.... also they both have former all star 2nd basemen as the manager.
Off the topic of that team... what's teh record for most innings ever played in a season by a team.. cause the 06 metropolitans seemed destined to break that one...
i enjoyed the craig mactavish joke."

Glad you enjoyed the joke. I hope you don't mind, but I think it's in everyone's best interests, Justin, that I left off the last three sentences of your e-mail.

The parallels you draw between the '86 Mets and the '06 Mets are very accurate. These Mets just never seem out of a game, and that's the way it was in '86. The '06 Mets also have played a ton of innings. We'll look that up, and also my question about Pedro Martinez*'s career total of scoreless innings.

Finally, I've come to realize that I may be the only person who likes Gary Carter. It's crazy that he was so hated. It's really a shame...it's been a couple of years since I read that book, but I feel he was portrayed as a good guy overal, just a little full of himself. It's a shame he wasn't liked just because he was pretty much the most normal (read: not-drugged-up) guy on the team. But I ask you....how many of those guys are having such successful minor league managing careers?

THE KID'S KIDS: The winning streak continues for the St. Lucie Mets - they beat Daytona, 2-0, on Wednesday. They've won 7 in a row, and are up by 3 games in the division.

FANTASY UPDATE: The What If Mets have now lost 6 straight. It's a sinking ship - I have no idea what to do. I'm playing bad teams, too - I guess those teams are now playing a bad team - mine.

BEAT THE STREAK: Mark Teixeira has a hit, so I've tied my season-high with 9 games in a row. I'm taking the newly returned Rocco Baldelli against the Royals on Friday night to get his first hit since his recall, and extend my streak.

No comments: