Wednesday, June 07, 2006

HURTIN' OUT WEST

Ladies and gentlemen, the starting lineup for your National League East leaders:

SS Chris Woodward
C Paul LoDuca
CF Carlos Beltran*
3B David Wright
1B Julio Franco
2B Jose Valentin
LF Lastings Milledge
RF Endy Chavez
P Tom Glavine

It's just not what you'd expect to see as a Mets fan. I was a bit taken aback. To explain some things, on Monday night, I guess THE GREATEST BALLPLAYER WHO EVER LIVED, Jose Reyes, sprained his wrist. It's not said to be too serious, but I haven't heard an update. He didn't play Tuesday, isn't starting Wednesday. On Tuesday night, Cliff Floyd suffered a sprained ankle pulling into third base - he thinks his spike got stuck in the dirt. He probably won't be out too long, but you never know with that type of injury (and with Floyd's history). So, hence the presence of Chavez and Woodward in their steads.

I guess what shocks me the most about this lineup is the absence of Carlos Delgado. He's been struggling lately, and maybe Willie Randolph figured he'd rest him against a lefty (Odalis Perez) on Wednesday - but it seems like, with all those other injuries, and the lack of those bats in the lineup, that the Mets would need Delgado's bat in there tonight. I just think it's curious he's not there - unless I'm missing something else, and he was hurt after I went to sleep last night - but I probably would have heard something about that.

Tom Glavine is starting tonight on three days rest - he only threw about 85 pitches on Saturday, looking towards the start tonight.

**UPDATE: And before Glavine even takes the mound, he's out to a 4-0 lead. Randolph must be a genius, with this lineup he's put out - they staged a 2-out first inning rally, scoring four runs. Hopefully they go on to the win.

TUESDAY NIGHT RECAP: I went to sleep, it was 2-2 in the fourth or fifth...I woke up, and the Mets lost, 8-5. Pedro Martinez* is allowed this clunker, after the stellar starts he's put up - it's just too bad the string of starts he's been on hasn't gotten him anything but two straight losses. He deserves better. If the Mets win Wednesday, it'll all be OK. I think the Mets take two out of three against the Dodgers, then split or better against the (reeling because of this latest steroids thing) Arizona Diamondbacks, and I'll be happy with the shape the Mets are in heading to Philadelphia.

BOOF UPDATE: It's been a while since I last wrote about Boof Bonser (he started while I was away), but he's pitching tonight in Seattle. He's off to a rough start so far - giving up 3 runs on two homers in the first inning - his ERA is up to 5.68. (Comparatively speaking, though, Josh Beckett is at 5.27.) Hope he settles in and gets the Twins a win.

THE KID'S KIDS: Well, I can't figure out the story with the 6-and-a-half inning game the other night, but I can tell you the St. Lucie Mets are winners of 6 straight, and have re-opened a 2 game lead over Brevard County. They're 35-24, and beat Palm Beach 4-2 on Wednesday.

FANTASY UPDATE: I really shouldn't have filled out that survey. They're getting even with me for being critical of the What If World. I lost all three on Wednesday, 7 out of 8 overall, and I can take this back pretty far - I've lost 10 out of 12, 11 out of 14.....18 out of 24. Disgraceful. But all is not lost - I picked 1987 Keith Hernandez off the waiver wire. We'll see if he can turn things around - he's off to a 3-for-5 start in his first game.

Also, while on the subject of minor leagues, the Norfolk Tides are still in last place.

BEAT THE STREAK: Bobby Abreu got me up to an 8-gamer. I always have trouble when I pick Texas Rangers, but I'm going with Mark Teixeira on Thursday. I'm feeling wary about it...but if he can get me to 9, I'll tie my season high.

No comments: