Wednesday, September 29, 2004

Good news, Jets fans. The household once again has a computer. I will try to get back into a regular blog writing schedule, which I haven't had the chance to do since the season started, but the household also has a lot of homework these days (including right now, but we have a couple of e-mails I have to get to...can't let down the fans.). So I'll do the best I can.

First things first, let's go to the mailbag. Thanks for writing...

"Dear Johnnyjets.
Three weeks into the season may be a little early to play the
surprise/bust game...but I'd like to get your read on a couple of
teams.
Jacksonville is 3-0. But with 35 points scored and 28 points allowed,
and what seemed like a lucky pass interference call this past week
against the Titans that set up the game-winning touchdown. So...are
the Jags a contender or pretender?
On the flip side, K.C. looks absolutely abominable at 0-3, with 86
points allowed the most in the NFL. Is there any hope for the Chiefs?
Do you have a "dark horse" in the AFC, somebody flying under the radar
who you think can run off 10 wins and get into the playoffs as a wild
card? (And don't say the Jets.)
Love your show,
Dave"

I wouldn't say the Jets, Dave, because you said "dark horse in the AFC"...and everyone knows I consider the Jets an AFC favorite. To be honest, I was big on Jacksonville this year. (I might have written that in one of my previews before the season, but I don't know. Scroll down and check that out - I can't do that while I'm writing this.) I didn't think the Jaguars would start 3-0, but I thought they'd make a late-season push. But you're write about Jacksonville...not only did they luck out against the Titans, but they lucked out in week 2 against the Broncos when Quentin Griffin fumbled deep in their territory, and they lucked out in week 1 on a last second Touchdown to win the game against the Bills. (Their defense is great, so it isn't all luck, but a lot of it is.) Speaking of the Bills, they've been a couple of plays from being 2-0, instead, they're 0-2. They would have been a crappy 2-0 team, but they're barely losing games...for whatever that's worth. As for Kansas City, I think there is a little hope, because their defense can only get better, and I don't think Oakland and San Diego are better. Once the Chiefs get a little healthier, they'll climb the division - but Denver will probably still win the West.


"John,
Curtis Martin is putting up huge numbers. I don't think he will sustain this pace the whole year. Do you think now would be a good time to start utilizing Lamont Jordan a little more, specifically on screen passes. Also, look for me at the Jets game this week in Miami. I will likely be the only one standing and cheering in my section, based on the way the Dolphins looked the last three weeks.
Sincerely, Fireman Mark"

First of all Mark, glad to hear from you...I've been meaning to give you a call to talk Jets and to see how you did with all the hurricanes, but school's been busy. Glad to hear also that you're going to this weekend's game. Give Jay Fiedler hell. Those Dartmouth people are awful. I wrote in one of my more recent postings that as a Jets fan, you just have to feel that Martin is going to wear down at some point. And I would think we should start seeing more of LaMont Jordan, but I think the Jets are intent on running Martin into the ground this season. I'm fine with that - I think Martin is in some of the best shape of his career, so I think he might not wear down, even though the pessimistic Jets fan deep inside me says he's going to get hurt in Week 9. All of the newspapers had big articles during the bye week on Martin's offseason training regimen (he took flights to California for the weekend just so he could run some steep steps in a cliff somewhere). So I feel good about Martin...but Jordan is fun to watch when he gets the ball on the screen...I just hope Herman Edwards gets over the preseason difficulties he and Jordan had, and uses him to give Martin some down time.

For the record - I went 8-5-1 with my picks last week against the spread (for entertainment purposes only). Also for the record, I won my office pool for the second time in three weeks, and my fantasy football team is 3-0. I need to go do homework now. I'll give a weekend preview hopefully by Friday.

No comments: