Saturday, September 18, 2004

Not much time for a preview of Sunday's game, but I'll do a quick one, then jump right into my picks for the week. I was 10-6 against the spread last week...and remember, this is all for entertainment purposes only. Seriously. If it wasn't, I would have made some money last week...but one of these weeks, I would definitely lose my make-believe money. So that's why it's all make-believe. Anyway, onto the previews:

The Jets play at San Diego against the Chargers, who surprised me by beating the Houston Texans last week. I don't think the Chargers are very good, and Drew Brees played really well last week. He shouldn't play that well again. I think the Jets have handled LaDainian Tomlinson well in the games they've played him..actually, come to think of it, he may have been hurt the last time the Jets played San Diego, so they may never have faced Tomlinson. Regardless, I think the Jets can handle the Chargers. I'm going to say 24-14, covering the 3-point spread.

The rest of the NFL: I'm going to take Jacksonville getting 3 and a half at home against Denver. Denver looked really good last week, but I like the Jaguars to lose by three or less at home, because that's what home-field advantage is all about.

Baltimore let down a lot of people last week, losing to Cleveland. They didn't let me down - I've been saying they're not as good as people have been saying they'll be. But they're better than Pittsburgh, and they'll cover 3 and a half points at home.

Houston let me down last week...but I think they'll bounce back this week at Detroit, getting 3.

Indianapolis is getting a point in Tennessee...they'll win outright. Indy's the pick.

Green Bay is my lock of the week to win at home against the Bears. 8 and a half is a lot of points, but I'll take them to cover as well. Packers -81/2.

The Giants are not good. Until they show me they can win, I'll keep picking against them. Washington will ruin the home opener. Redskins, -3.

New Orleans is a seven and a half point favorite over the 49ers this weekend. I don't get the Saints, but I don't think San Francisco is very good. So I'll take the Saints.

Atlanta's a 2-point favorite over Saint Louis. I'm not sure why. I'll take the Rams plus 2.

Kansas City's giving six and a half to the Panthers. The Panthers have a bunch of injuries already - their running back and their best receiver. Gotta be the Chiefs.

Seattle's giving two and a half at Tampa Bay. Seattle tends to struggle on the road, but Tampa is not good. I'll take the Seahawks.

Dallas is a five-point favorite over the Browns. The Browns were impressive last week, and the Cowboys were not. I expect a role reversal...go with Dallas.

The Patriots go to Arizona, and are 8-point favorites. I just feel like the Cardinals will keep it close. I'll take Arizona.

Oakland's giving three and a half to Buffalo out west. The Raiders will kill the Bills.

And the Bengals, after looking impressive against the Jets last week, host Miami Sunday night. They're giving five points. I'll take Cincy.

Monday night, it's the Eagles and Vikings. I'll take Philly giving three and a half...but it'll be close.

I should be able to post a recap of the Jets-Chargers game Sunday night. Thanks for reading.

No comments: