Saturday, September 25, 2004

Bye Bye Baby, Baby Bye Bye

Bye Johnnyjets

Yes, it's the bye week. That means I need to preoccupy myself in any way I can. Hence, the headline. The Jets say they're not bothered by the early bye week, and some, including Chad Pennington, say it's better to have the bye week early in the year, to break up the monotony of training camp, rather than the end of the year, where it could mess up the momentum of the season. I'll buy into that. As a fan, (which is arguably more work than being a player), I prefer the early bye week as well, because now I can go for 14 straight weeks of Jets football (and hopefully more - straight through the Super Bowl).

One other Jets note before I move onto my picks - the Daily News Jets beat writer wrote yesterday that he would bet Kevin Mawae (broken hand) will play next Sunday against Miami (for whatever that's worth). The injury is apparently healing fast, and for Mawae it appears to only be a matter of whether or not he can grip the football to snap it. The possibility even exists that Mawae will move to a guard spot and Pete Kendall will handle center duties for one week. So I think Mawae will be playing, which is good news for the running game.

OK - onto the picks (for entertainment purposes only). I was 7-9 last week, 17-15 over the first two weeks:

Miami is a one-point favorite over Pittsburgh. I think the Dolphins will actually win this game - Tommy Maddox is hurt for Pittsburgh. The only thing working against the Dolphins here is the hurricane - this game might get pushed back to Monday or Tuesday - or it could be played as early as Sunday night. Dolphins, -1.

Tennessee is a 6 point favorite over Jacksonville. I'm big on the Jaguars, and there's a chance they'll pull off the upset on the road this week...but I'm thinking they lose by less than six. Jaguars +6.

The Giants are giving three at home against Cleveland. I think the Giants will win the game, and cover. NYG, -3.

Baltimore is also a three point favorite - they're in Cincinnati. I think Cincinnati wins outright at home...I repeat, I DO NOT think Baltimore is very good. CIN, +3.

The Chiefs are giving 7 and a half points to the Texans. I thought the Texans would be better than they've been, and they still might turn things around, but I'm taking the Chiefs to win big...for their first win of the season. Chiefs, giving seven and a half.

The Rams are a seven point favorite at home over the Saints. I don't get the Rams, and I can't predict the Saints. Are the Rams that much better at home than they are on the road (they got beat bad in Atlanta last week)? I'll take the Saints plus the points.

The Vikings are giving nine to the Bears, the team that killed me in every one of my pools last week. It won't happen two weeks in a row. I take MIN, -9.

The 2-0 Eagles give four and a half to the 2-0 Lions, in Detroit. The Lions will not be 3-0. Take the Eagles, giving four and a half.

The Falcons are ten-point favorites over the Cardinals - they'll win by 14. ATL, -10.

Denver is also a ten-point favorite at home against the Chargers. I'll take them too. DEN, -10.

Indy is a 6-point favorite over the Packers, who lost to the Bears last week, therefore they are the other team that killed me in every one of my pools last week. I'll go with the Colts at home, giving six.

The Seahawks are ten-point favorites over the 49ers. Lots of big spreads this week - looks like I'm going with all the favorites. SEA, -10.

The Super Bowl XXXVII rematch is Sunday night. What a clunker this year. Raiders are three-point favorites over Tampa Bay. I'll take Oakland just because they're the home team. OAK, -3.

And Monday night it's the Redskins as a one and a half point favorite over the Cowboys. I'll go with the Cowboys to win on national TV.

Enjoy the Jets-less weekend.

No comments: