Wednesday, October 20, 2004

This is the time of the week where I devote an article to the opposing team. But we all know plenty about the 5-0 New England Patriots, winners of 20 games in a row, winners of two of the last three Super Bowl championships, etc., etc. So we'll just continue my week-long preview of the big game.

Incidentally, some good stats in the New York Daily News on Wednesday. Something I forgot, partly because I stopped keeping track of this at the end of last year, when Pennington started to pitch poorly: Chad Pennington, in his career, has thrown 31 touchdown passes and no interceptions in the red zone. That's my favorite stat ever. I hope he keeps it up. I think Pennington threw an interception inside the 25 against the Pats last year (one of five on the night) that was close to breaking that perfect streak, but the fact remains, he's perfect. The Patriots could challenge that streak...but again, I hope it stays alive.

Another good stat - the Jets are the last team to beat the Patriots in New England. In December, 2002, the Jets beat the Pats 31-17. It was an absolute butt-kicking, if you remember. I think it was a Sunday night, and Tom Brady had one of his worst games - the Jets beat him up pretty good, en route to the division title. Just FYI. It's not impossible for the Jets to win in New England. And another note - Curtis Martin always plays well against his former team. Especially considering he's having such a great year to begin with.

I hate to shortchange another article, but I have lots of homework this week, and there is another New England-New York game I should turn my attention to tonight. If time permits, and I'm not exhausted at the end of the night, johnnymets.blogspot.com might feature a recap of Game 7 of the ALCS.

No comments: