Thursday, October 21, 2004

Sunday, 4pm, Jets (5-0) at Patriots (5-0) - Gillette Stadium

I've been accused of being a homer. A person who roots blindly for his team, no matter what the situation. A person who always thinks his team is going to win, despite all evidence that seemingly points to the contrary. And all that has nothing to do with why I'm picking the Jets to beat the Patriots this weekend. The reason I'm picking the Jets to beat the Patriots this weekend is because the Jets have played the Patriots very well during New England's recent stretch of dominance, and if anyone is going to put an end to this winning streak, it's going to be the Jets. This weekend. I'm almost positive of it.

FYI, Jets fans, good article in this week's Sports Illustrated about the relationship between Chad Pennington and Herman Edwards. Two of my favorite men in the whole universe. And it is because of these two men that the Jets will find a way to beat the Patriots. Throw in a little Curtis Martin, and that's like a bonus. I've previewed this game all week - there's not much else for me to say about it. I'll keep quiet until Sunday...but I'll end with this: the Patriots are favored by six points over the Jets. That's way too much. I'm glad the Jets are underdogs by that much, and that not a lot of people are picking the Jets this weekend, from what I've seen. That can only help matters. I'm taking the Jets, 24-21. It's going to be a close one, but the Jets will pull through.

Here are the rest of my picks for this weekend, for entertainment purposes only, of course (I went 9-5 last week, a strong showing, but nothing compared to the 13-1 posted by Dave from Brighton...nice work Dave. Perhaps next year in this space we can compete against one another. We'll have to talk. Have your person call my person. Anyway, I'm 47-39-2 on the season.):

In Baltimore, the Ravens are a 5-and-a-half point favorite over the Bills. I haven't liked picking the Ravens much all season, but I have a feeling this one will be all Baltimore.

The Giants are home to the Lions, and New York is favored by six-and-a-half points. That seems like a big spread to me, considering we're talking about the Giants. I've been impressed by them so far this season, and I think they'll win, but I don't think the Giants will cover. I'll take the Lions plus the points.

Philadelphia's a 7-point favorite over the Browns in Cleveland. The only reason this might be kept close is because it's in Cleveland, but the Eagles are looking really good right now. I'll take the Eagles.

The Colts are a 9-point favorite over the Jaguars. Jacksonville kept themselves alive as contenders in my eyes last week...I'll take them plus the points in Indy to stay competitive.

The Vikings are giving six-and-a-half points to the Titans in Minnesota. Tennessee already pulled off an upset (or at least an upset in my eyes) at an NFC North opponent this year when they blew out Green Bay in Green Bay. I don't think it'll happen again, and Minnesota is a lot better than Green Bay right now. The Vikings are my pick.

Carolina is a 3-point favorite over San Diego in Carolina. I'm not sure why. I think San Diego is playing a lot better football right now than the Panthers. I'm taking the Chargers, getting points.

The Rams are a 6-point favorite over the Dolphins, in Miami. There's a slight chance the Dolphins will pull off this upset, since St. Louis is on the road. I don't know why I think that, I just feel it in my bones. But if I were putting money on the game, I'd take the Rams. So that's what I'll do here. Rams, -6.

Tampa Bay is a 7-point favorite over Chicago. This game's in Tampa, and it's probably the worst game of the week. Not probably, definitely. I'll take the Bears.

The Chiefs are a 3-and-a-half point favorite over Atlanta. The game's in Kansas City, but the Chiefs are not better than the Falcons. At least, I don't think they are. I'm taking the Falcons, getting points.

The Cowboys are reeling, and they're underdogs this week. Dallas gets three-and-a-half from the Packers in Green Bay. I'm taking the Packers. I think they're recovering from their recent struggles...Dallas has some recovering to do still.

In Arizona, the Cardinals are getting six-and-a-half from the Seahawks. Two losses in a row for Seattle. They'll put an end to that in emphatic fashion against Arizona. I'll take Seattle.

Oakland is home to New Orleans on Sunday night. The Raiders are favored by three points. Actually, this is the last game listed on the list, but I wonder if there's a Sunday night game this week opposite Game 2 of the World Series. Oh well, this might be a 4 o'clocker. Either way, the Raiders are favored...I'll take the Saints, getting points.

Monday night (for sure), the Broncos are giving six to the Bengals. Denver should run all over Cincy. I'll take the Broncos.

Enjoy the weekend - World Series and Football! And check out johnnymets.blogspot.com for an update there. I'll try to keep updating that site for the World Series.

No comments: