Friday, October 15, 2004

Jets (4-0) vs. 49ers (1-4) at the Meadowlands, Sunday, 1pm

The Jets should have no problem with the 49ers this week. Yes, the Jets are dealing with some injuries - to the offensive line, to Santana Moss. But the 49ers are much worse off than the Jets. Two of their best players are hurt - one on offense, one on defense. And I read today that the 49ers' pass defense is horrible, which I didn't realize. That's good news for Chad Pennington, even without Moss. I bet Justin McCareins has his biggest day as a Jet this weekend. Look for the Jets to finally open it up in the passing game...at least, I hope. This is the week to do it. The Jets are not making a big deal about being 4-0, but at the same time, they're well aware they're on the verge of being the first Jets team to go to 5-0. I'm just jumping straight to the pick here - in the last of the "soft" games, before the big matchup with New England next week. The Jets are 10-point favorites. I predict a push. Jets, 30-20, if they air it out...Jets, 20-10 if they play the same conservative game.

Elsewhere, for entertainment purposes only, the rest of the NFL (I was 5-9 last week - what a horrible week - and I'm 38-34-2 on the season):

Winless Buffalo hosts winless Miami. One team has to win, even though I'd love there to be a tie to keep both winless. Buffalo is a better team than the Dolphins, plus, they're home. I even think Buffalo is six points better than Miami, so I take the Bills, -6.

The Patriots are a 4-point favorite over the Seahawks. In New England. Seattle has shown they can win on the road this season, but this might be a bit too much. Still, I think they can keep it to within a field goal. I'll take Seattle, +4.

The Eagles are a nine-point favorite over the Panthers. Some say this is revenge for the Eagles for last year's NFC Championship game. I say, these are two different teams. The Eagles are much better, the Panthers much worse. Again, though, nine points seems like a lot. I think the Eagles win by 7 or 8. So I take the Panthers plus the points.

Cleveland is giving three, in Cleveland, to Cincinnati. I think the Bengals are better than these spreads they've been getting the short end of. And I think this is a game the Bengals can win. So I take Cincy, plus three.

The Lions are a two-and-a-half-point favorite at home over Green Bay. I refuse to believe the Packers are this bad. This is the last week I'll take Green Bay. Don't let me down, Favre.

Chicago is a one-point favorite over Washington, in Chicago. I have to go with Washington, even though they keep letting me down.

Tennessee is giving six-and-a-half to Houston, in Tennessee. After what the Titans did to the Packers on Monday night, I have to take them this week. Who wouldn't? They may win by 50 at home.

Atlanta is a four-and-a-half point favorite over the Chargers at home. I think I'll take San Diego, because I think the Falcons are not for real, despite the 4-1 record. Just a hunch.

Jacksonville is a home underdog, getting two points from Kansas City. I'll try the Jaguars one more time here. If they can't win this game, they're not a real contender either. JAX, +2.

In Dallas, the Cowboys are giving three to the Steelers. Not sure who's the better team here. Pittsburgh's overachieving, Dallas is underachieving. I'll go with the overachievers. Pitt, +3.

Denver is giving two points to Oakland, in Oakland. I'll take the Broncos, because the Raiders are not good.

Minnesota is in New Orleans, and is a three-and-a-half point favorite. I can't figure out the Saints. I thought they were going to be a good team, then last week they lay an egg against the Bucs, who are downright bad. I think they may surprise people and come back and beat the mighty Vikes. But I'm not going to pick them, because I can never pick them right. I'll take Minnesota, minus-three-and-a-half.

On Monday night, the aforementioned Buccaneers are in Saint Louis to play the Rams. The Rams are six point favorites. Another Monday Night Football blowout. I take Saint Louis by a whole lot more than six.

No comments: