Wednesday, October 13, 2004

It's late, I need to go to bed, but I need to write before I sleep. (I had to work tonight, and while I was passing the hours watching the Sox-Yankees, deciding whether or not I'd have to cut highlights of the game, I realized I should turn the johnnymets.blogspot.com site into a post-season blog. We'll see if that happens...if it does, it would start tomorrow night.)

Anyway, Wednesday is AFC East update day. First, though, a Jets update. The injuries to Pete Kendall and Brandon Moore appear to be more serious than first thought. Both are definitely out for Sunday's game against San Francisco, and both could miss more time. Kendall could miss 3-4 weeks. That's bad news.

OK. AFC East. So the Jets beat the Bills last week to drop them to 0-4, while the Patriots beat the Dolphins, to drop them to 0-5. Everyone knows both the Jets and Patriots are 4-0. First, a word about the Jets' schedule. Yes, it's been weak, but guess who else has had a weak schedule. Thaaaaat's right. The Pats. The Patriots barely beat the Colts in week 1, and the Colts are by far the best team New England has played. After the Indy game, the Pats beat Arizona, Buffalo and the Dolphins. The Jets also beat the Dolphins and Bills, and in weeks 1 and 2, beat Cincinnati and San Diego. So things have been about even between the two teams up until this point. Next week is where the schedules differ - the Pats have to play the 1-loss Seahawks, while the Jets play the 1-win 49ers. And then after that, the two teams play each other, and the talk about who is better can be put aside for another week or so.

I just looked something up that was quite disturbing. I thought that Jets-Pats game was on ESPN, but it's not - it's a 4pm game. Then I looked at the entire Jets schedule and realized the Jets don't have one Sunday night game - their only nationally televised (in prime time) game is November 1st, a Monday nighter against the Dolphins. That makes me mad. For so long, the Jets stunk, and they were never on Monday Night Football. Then the Jets got better, and they'd get at least one Monday nighter, maybe two if we were lucky, plus an ESPN game or two. Then the Jets go and have one bad year (where their quarterback was hurt - mind you, if he was healthy, last year wouldn't have been a bad year), and they're barely on in prime time at all the following season!??! I'm outraged. I'd write a letter if I wasn't so busy writing a blog that 3 people read.

Just to round out the AFC East, the Bills play the Dolphins next week. The Bills should win the game, because they're head and shoulders above Miami. Throw in the fact that Jay Fiedler and A.J. Feely are both hurt, and are both questionable for the game, and Miami's starting quarterback will most likely be Sage Rosenfels, and it adds up to Buffalo's first win of the season, and Miami to 0-6. But still, wouldn't it be awesome if they tied? I think so.

Tomorrow I'll try to slap together a preview of San Francisco. Or maybe my time would be better spent on johnnymets.blogspot.com. I'll let you know.

No comments: