Thursday, October 16, 2008

GETTING READY FOR THE NEW DIGS

My last post on last weekend's trip to New York (that one had legs, huh?). The Jets and Giants are getting a new stadium, too. Construction is well underway right next to Giants Stadium (that's why the parking is trouble, and why Dad and I took public transportation to the Jets game on Sunday). And since I'm obsessed with the building and opening of new sports facilities, this was right up my alley. I snapped some pictures.

But first, this disclaimer. The Jets are playing this up as something to the effect of (and I'm quoting, though it's not a direct quote, but it's the same idea) "Finally, after all these years, the Jets will have a home of their own." There's just so much wrong with that.

First of all, I don't think it's a good idea to tout that you've never had a home of your own. It's a huge black eye for the franchise - let's just keep it a secret.

Secondly, sorry, no, the Jets are not getting a home of their own. They are sharing a home with the Giants. That ruins the whole "of their own" premise, because, you see, they're sharing it with someone else.

Thirdly, I have come to grips with the fact that I root for a team from New Jersey. It's a shame, really, that the Jets couldn't get a Manhattan stadium - that would have rocked. Instead, they will play forever in the Meadowlands. And I'm OK with that, I guess. They've moved their practice facility from Hofstra University on Long Island to New Jersey, and they'll play their home games forever in New Jersey. What can you do? I'm in too deep to turn back now - I'll deal.
So, as you can see below, the stadium is being built right next to the old one. We enter Gate D for my dad's seats (that's the view from those seats above - I don't know if I ever showed that before - so I threw it in there). Gate B is right next to the construction site, so I walked over there and took this picure:

No work was being done on the stadium on Sunday, but there was activity around the site. Here's a look inside at where the field would be:
Finally, part of the deal in that area was the development of some theme park with year-round skiing. It will be called Xanadu, if I remember correctly. This has to be it - because I think that's the indoor ski jump. Weird.
Some other day I'll comment on the PSL's and such. For now, I'll just enjoy the cool concept of another new stadium.

No comments: