Thursday, October 09, 2008

CUE THE VIDEO MONTAGE

Time for me to put a wrap on the 2008 Mets season. I feel a twinge of responsibility for the Mets missing the playoffs, but only a microscopic twinge, since the Mets are the ones who did this two years in a row. I have had this blog ready since the Friday before the season ended - it was meant to celebrate a playoff appearance. Now, it will kind of wrap up the season (since I put so much work into it, I don't want it to go to waste - I don't even know if it will work anymore).

But this goes in the same category as TBS and FOX and mlb.com airing ads for playoff baseball with the Mets in them all September long. I knew as soon as I saw those that the Mets were in trouble. So they take a bigger share of jinxing responsibility than I do. After all, I didn't do any jinxing a year ago, and the Mets ended up in the same spot. And to answer the question posed throughout the rest of this post, "How far we've come?" the answer when it comes to the Mets is "Not very." Which is why I'm frustrated at the re-signing of Omar Minaya. But that's another story for another day. Here's the post:

It's been about a year since Matchbox Twenty released their greatest hits album, featuring the new single (along with five other excellent new songs), "How Far We've Come". One year later, I still can't get enough of that song. And all year I've been waiting for someone to use it in a video montage, recapping someone's great year. Football season came and went...nothing. Hockey and basketball....nothing. College seasons....nothing. NASCAR used it as they were celebrating some sort of anniversary this year, but it was used on opening day at the Daytona 500, and never heard from again. And it's PERFECT for a retrospective. So I'm not going to waste any more time. I don't have the video capabilities, but I think the end of the Mets' season deserves the montage treatment. Italics are song lyrics, regular print is the video you should imagine seeing. Enjoy (and download the song while you're at it.):

(Drums start...then guitars)
Show Mets players dancing in the dugouts, running out to positions
Waking up at the start of the end of the world
But it's feeling just like every other morning before
Clips from Opening Day - including countdown of days left at Shea Stadium
Now I wonder what my life is gonna mean if it's gone
Aerials of Shea

The cars are moving like a half-a-mile-an-hour and I
Started staring at the passengers and waving goodbye
Carlos Delgado curtain call
Can you tell me what was ever really special
about me all this time
Johan Santana highlight reel

I believe the world is burning to the ground
Oh well, I guess we're gonna find out
Let's see how far we've come
Let's see how far we've come
I believe it all is coming to an end
Oh well, I guess we're gonna pretend
Let's see how far we've come
Let's see how far we've come

I think it turned ten o'clock but I don't really know
And I can't remember caring for an hour or so
Started crying and I couldn't stop myself
I started running but there's nowhere to run to
Montage of Willie Randolph, tearful 'press conference', headlines from the firing

I sat down on the street, took a look at myself
Iso shot of Jerry Manuel in the dugout, then Jose Reyes challenging him on the field on the first day
Said where you going man you know the world is headed for hell Say your goodbyes if you got someone you can say goodbye to
Bullpen Struggles Montage (this might take a while - through the chorus)

I believe the world is burning to the ground
Oh well, I guess we're gonna find out
Let's see how far we've come (Right now)
Let's see how far we've come
I believe it all is coming to an end
Oh well, I guess we're gonna pretend
Let's see how far we've come (Ah, yeah)
Let's see how far we've come

(Music - Show the Mets turning their season around - highlighted by some Carlos Delgado homers, with Gary Cohen voiceover - "Outta Here")
Home Run montage - Delgado, Beltran, Wright, Reyes, Tatis, the Apple coming out of the hat
It's gone, gone
Baby it's all gone
There's no one on the corner and there's no one at home
It was cool, cool
It was just all cool
Now it's over for me
And it's over for you.


It's gone, gone
Baby it's all gone
There's no one on the corner and there's no one at home
It was cool, cool
It was just all cool
Now it's over for me
And it's over for you....

I believe the world is burning to the ground
Oh well, I guess we're gonna find out
The rest of the song is covered with video of the Mets clinching the playoff spot and celebrating
Let's see how far we've come (Ah yeah)
Let's see how far we've come
I believe it all is coming to an end
Oh well, I guess we're gonna pretend
Let's see how far we've come (Ah yeah)
Let's see how far we've come

Let's see how far we've come
Let's see how far we've come
Let's see how far we've come
Let's see how far we've come
Let's see how far we've come
Let's see how far we've come
Let's see how far we've come

No comments: