Monday, October 15, 2007

JUST A COUPLE OF POST-SEASON THOUGHTS

These things have occurred to me as I watch some of the ALCS and NLCS (keep in mind, though, that I can't stay up much past 11pm, and that severely restricts what I have and have not seen):

*Grady Sizemore seems like he just belongs in the post-season, doesn't he?

*I like rooting for the Rockies. For one thing, they always win. For another, they're just a likeable team. I've always sort of liked Todd Helton, too, so it's nice to see him having post-season success.

*Believe it or not, I'm going to come to the defense of Manny Ramirez here. I still wouldn't want him on my team, but I'm going to defend him. After he hit that walk-off home run against the Angels in the ALDS, I heard some Red Sox fans (some, not all, some) say something to the effect of, "it's about time, he hasn't been clutch at all." I asked for clarification...and heard back, "when you look at what Ortiz has done....". I'm sorry. First of all, Manny Ramirez was MVP of the 2004 World Series - he doesn't make an out in the post-season. Secondly, he hits behind Ortiz, and in a lot of game-winning situations, he's left on-deck because of how well Ortiz performs in those situations. So there are a couple of things to defend him. I still don't want him on my team.

*It's weird that Jake Westbrook is the #3 starter for a team this deep in the playoffs. He's really had an up and down year. I had him a couple of times on the fantasy team that involves players from outside the East divisions, and I had him for 57.2 innings, where he went 1-4, with an ERA of 4.99. Overall, he was 6-9 with a 4.32 ERA. Most of the time I owned him was earlier in the season, and he had a good second half (5-5 with a 3.44 ERA after the All Star break)....and he was injured for part of the first half. But he's one of those guys who just surprises you come the money games after pitching so poorly for so long.

No comments: