Sunday, October 08, 2006

WAITING FOR WEDNESDAY....

  • Not sure who I'm rooting for the Mets to play in the NLCS. The best I can come up with is this - I want the Padres to win Game 4, so at least the series goes the distance and the teams can't set their own pitching rotations. And then I guess I want the Cardinals to eliminate the Padres, because I don't want the Mets to eliminate Mike Piazza. I'd rather see him gone before they have to do it.
  • It's kind of pathetic to watch/listen to/read Red Sox fans' reactions to the post-season. I've written before about how Sox fans don't know how to deal with success - they almost enjoy failure more than success. But it is ridiculous to live up here and see the way they reacted to the Yankees getting knocked out of the playoffs on Saturday. It was almost more euphoric than the Red Sox' 2004 World Championship. Seriously. I'm not exaggerating by much here.
  • I was watching Jason Tyner (DH?!?!) during the Twins-A's series on Friday, and it struck me that there are a lot of former Mets in the post-season this year. So I put together a little team. Here it is:

1 - Marco Scutaro, SS
2 - Preston Wilson, RF
3 - Jeff Kent, 1B
4 - Mike Piazza, C
5 - Mike Cameron, CF
6 - Jay Payton, LF
7 - Marlon Anderson, 2B
8 - Miguel Cairo, 3B
9 - Cory Lidle, P

I of course had to go with Lidle as the starter, but keep in mind we do have Kenny Rogers from the left side if we needed him. (Most painful thing about the Yankees losing was the fact that Kenny Rogers was on the winning team. But I did enjoy the fact that the Mets sent Jeff Kent home for the winter.)

The bullpen - Braden Looper and Jason Isringhausen

The bench - Vance Wilson, Jason Tyner

Managers/coaches: Ron Gardenhire, Joe Torre, and Bruce Bochy

It's not an All-Star team or anything, but it's a pretty good collection of talent. And some of those guys who the Mets gave away young, like Tyner and Scutaro, have built pretty good careers for themselves.

I'll be back with a preview before Wednesday, child allowing.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oct. 28, 2004 -- Red Sox win World Series. Hundreds stay up all night, meet the team at Fenway Park. People leap for joy in the streets. An estimated three million turn out for a parade despite flu-inducing freezing drizzle.

Oct. 7, 2006 -- Yankees eliminated in ALDS. Guy at work says to me this morning "Hey, can you believe that Yankees lost to the Tigers?"

I think maybe you're exaggerating just a little.

Anonymous said...

Yeah...I'm with "Dave in Brighton" on this one. I think they are slightly different.

Although, when MLB.com sells t-shirts like this one:

http://shop.mlb.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2501885&cp=1452360.1452529.1452527

Its tough not to get a little joy out of the Yankees losing.

Also...Giambi is a tool.