Saturday, October 28, 2006

HOW DID THAT HAPPEN?

Cardinals win World Series in 5 Games

I've been absolutely killing the Cardinals all year, and I spent my Saturday morning going through some past write-ups on just how bad a team the Cardinals were this year, the morning after they wrapped up their first World Series championship in 24 years (note the date - consistene feelings throughout the season):

4/26/06

...the Cardinals swept the Pirates, but Jose Hernandez hit a homer off Jason Isringhausen in the top of the ninth inning to tie the game. (The Cardinals won in the bottom half.) I'm telling you - the Cardinals bullpen is flawed this year. That will eventually cost them.

8/4/06

The Cardinals are a joke right now - they've had more 5+ -game losing streaks this year than any other first-place team in history, says me. It's got to be a record. They're awful.

8/15/06

The Phillies have now outscored the Mets 24-4 in the first two games of this four-game series, and the Mets are inching dangerously close to being compared to the St. Louis Cardinals - owners of the title "Worst Team to Lead a Division This Late in the Season". The Cardinals, you may remember, have been blown out a bunch of times this year - giving up lots of double-digit run totals, and tallying losing streaks of 8 games a couple of times this year. The Mets aren't there yet - but they're inching closer.

8/22/06

Tuesday night's game is pretty much a microcosm of my feelings about the way the Mets match up with the Cardinals. The only person in that lineup that can beat you is Albert Pujols, which John Maine let happen (twice), and the Cardinals' bullpen stinks. The unfortunate thing is that the Cardinals are very beatable - because of that, their lead in the NL Central is now down to one game over the Reds, and they are in serious trouble when it comes to making the post-season.

8/24/06

The Mets beat the mediocre unimpressive NL Central-leading Cardinals, 6-2, on Thursday at Shea, extending their winning streak to 7, tying a club record with their 11th straight home win, and improving to a season-best 30 games over .500.

9/30/06

I've written a couple of times about how awful a first place team the St. Louis Cardinals are. They are living up to that title even more now with a huge collapse, but I still think they'll make the playoffs. And as much as I'd like to see them finish the collapse, I don't want Roger Clemens to make the playoffs, so I guess I'll take St. Louis.

10/7/06

As much as I hate the fact that St. Louis made the playoffs, I'm loving the possibility, with them ahead 2 games to 1, that the Mets will face them in the NLCS. There's two ways to look at this - the negative opinion is that the Cardinals are now hitting their stride in the post-season. The positive side (as a Mets fan) is that the Mets can kill the Cardinals. Which I think will be the case.


I guess the Cardinals were hitting their stride. Geez. Shows what I know.

What a weird post-season. I don't think I watched more than two innings total of the World Series. It's probably the least interested I've ever been in a World Series - partly, probably, because I was bitter.

I did catch on the news this morning, though, the celebration after the Cardinals won - I don't think I've ever seen a more lame celebration after a team won a celebration. The Cardinals did everything poorly this year...except win the whole darn thing.

ROGERS IS STILL A CHEATER: No one believes Kenny Rogers is a stand-up guy, after his macho display last year of knocking down a cameraman...but when he said he had "dirt" on his hand earlier in the World Series, I don't even think his own mother would believe him. The reason I bring this up again is 1) I strongly dislike Kenny Rogers, and 2) Sports Illustrated has a picture of Rogers pitching against Oakland in July with the same (illegal) substance on his hand. There goes that theory that it was just to get a grip on the ball in the cold weather. Kenny Rogers, ball doctorer. I wonder if he'll suffer any repercussions. Actually, I hope he comes back next year, tries to pitch clean, and gets his doors blown off. Thank goodness he's not a world champion. Although part of me hurts that Braden Looper is.

No comments: