Monday, May 15, 2006

TESTING THEIR MET-TLE

It's only mid-May, but in many ways this is a make-or-break week for the Mets. They're coming off their roughest stretch of the young season against two good teams (the Phillies and the Brewers - it's also the first time all year the Mets have lost back-to-back series). Now it's 6 straight against two very good teams - among the Major League's elite (the Cardinals and Yankees). At the same time, the Mets have seen their lead in the division slip to one game over the Phillies...and once the Yankees series is over, the Mets will be hosting Philadelphia. The rotation is in a bit of disarray, and the Mets are not getting what they really need from their ace, Pedro Martinez*.

The good news is that after losing two out of three to the Brewers - including a very tough 6-5, 10 inning loss on Sunday - the Mets aren't down. That's a difference from previous years, where a drop like this would end the Mets' season. The Mets are realizing a few things right now:

  • They're still the team in first place.
  • It's early in the season - they're not going to win the division title in May.
  • The season has ups and downs, and right now's a down - they're going to get back up.

It's very encouraging to hear the Mets talk like that, because that shows there's a winning mindset around the club, which hasn't always been the case.

But to keep that positive vibe going, the Mets need to take at least 2 out of three from the Cardinals...and then have a good weekend against the Yankees. One of the knocks on the Mets is that they built their early division lead against some poor teams (the Marlins and Nationals, primarily). The Mets managed to have a good West Coast trip, and have done well against Atlanta, but didn't take care of Philadelphia and Milwaukee like they should have. They need to show they can beat the good teams - starting Tuesday.

As for this weekend - it was not a good one. And I guess this is where I should answer my critics/friends (if you didn't see the comments, here's what was written - the first by Dave in Brighton, the second by the Southern Bureau):

"Yeah yeah yeah. We've seen it all before. JohnnyMets going strong, so long as the Mets are winning. Give them a 2-5 stretch and the posts dry up.We'll see you again when they host Pittsburgh in July."

"EXACTLY. JohnnyMets....WEAK!!"

First of all, there's no guarantee the Mets will beat Pittsburgh in July...in Pittsburgh or at Shea. I've logged a lot of miles to both places the past few years, and have seen nothing but L's when those teams meet. Secondly, I didn't post Thursday night because the game was called after I already turned off the computer, expecting a long rain delay and a late-night finish to the game. The joke was I was only going to write a half an entry, because it was half a game...but I didn't think the 4-and-a-half innings merited a posting. And now I'm recapping the weekend. So there.

Jose Lima is done. I don't want to see him pitch another game for the Mets. Jeremi Gonzalez can take that spot - he pitched well Saturday night, but I missed that game. Duaner Sanchez has suddenly imploded - he gave up 4 runs on Saturday night to cause Gonzalez to not get a win. And on Sunday, when the Mets needed Pedro* to go out and get them a win, he fell victim to the long ball again, giving up 4 runs on 2 homers, and the Mets went on to lose in 10 innings on a homer given up by Chad Bradford.

I forget if I addressed this before, but I don't know if I'm crazy with Willie Randolph's bullpen rotation. He always sets it up so that if there's an extra innings game, Bradford is getting multiple innings...and I don't think that's where he's most effective. He throws 60 miles an hour. The other teams are going to figure him out after an inning or so, and he's going to lose the game. I think they need a stronger arm that late in the game. That said, Willie has pushed the right buttons most of the year - most recently seen by getting Endy Chavez and Jose Valentin's hot bats into the lineup.

The Mets have been struggling getting runs home with runners in scoring position. This might be turning around, though, because the Mets managed to tie the game on Sunday in the ninth inning, with two outs, and a runner in scoring position. That's big. Especially with the game-tying run being driven in by Xavier Nady, who had been 0-for-17 with two outs and runners in scoring position before that hit. That might be the hit that keeps things going for the Mets in that regard.

And finally, during Pedro*'s outing on Sunday, I got to thinking. I wonder if he's the pitcher with the most scoreless innings of all time (or at least the highest percentage of scoreless innings of all innings pitched, since he hasn't pitched as many innings as many others). Here's what I mean - it always seems Pedro* has one bad inning (or two, like Sunday), and then is dominant the rest of the game...having stretches of retiring something like 9-15 straight, but losing in the game, 3-0. He must be up there - because that's been the story of his career - 7 innings pitched, 3 runs, with all the runs coming in the 2nd. Know what I mean? I wish someone would look that up. Also, so much for 27-0....another no-decision for Pedro* - I guess he'll have to settle for 26-0 this year.

COMMENT ON OTHER MEDIA: You know, I used to really enjoy reading Bill Simmons, the Sports Guy on ESPN. Then I turned...I don't know if I was jealous and figured I could do better, or if it just hit too close to home, or if he was getting too full of himself (I think that might have been it)...but I'm starting to enjoy reading his stuff again. I stumbled on a couple recently - one about a fantasy league he wanted to create using entertainment magazines, and another logging the Mike & The Mad Dog YES simulcast. Both were awesome, and very much in tune to my life. I might go back to reading him regularly...I just don't know if I have the time.

Funny thing about the fantasy league thing, though. It made me think of starting up my baseball pool this year (which I definitely should copyright), and how he'd probably enjoy it. But then I thought about how there have been years in my life where I'd think up an idea like that and not follow through on it, and let the idea whither away and die. Makes me wonder...maybe I have a book in me, yet. Also, it makes me feel like I'm really growing up, following through on creating a new baseball pool. That, plus the fact that I'm going to be a dad. Wow.

THE KID'S KIDS: The first update is that I am in possession of tickets to the Norfolk Tides-Pawtucket Red Sox game on Memorial Day afternoon. So I'll get an up-close look at Lastings Milledge (his numbers will start appearing here semi-regularly soon), and let you know about the other Triple-A Mets. As for The Kid's Kids, after an off-day on Mother's Day, the Mets got crushed by Dunedin, 14-5, on Monday night. The Mets are 22-15, still good enough for first place by a couple of games in their division.

As for Boof Bonser, his last start was Friday - he got a win, 2 runs in 6 innings, 8 strikeouts. I'm noticing some trouble in Minnesota.....Francisco Liriano is replacing Carlos Silva in the rotation while Silva works out some troubles....There's help in the minors, Twins!!!

FANTASY UPDATE: It's been a while since I updated the What if Mets, and not much has changed. Still hovering around .500, at 19-17, 3 GB. Time to gain some ground, though, because I have some weak competition coming up - the Cubs are giving up about 20 runs a game. The biggest news comes from the fact that Jose Reyes wasn't doing anything leading off, so I picked 1995's Brett Butler off waivers, and he's been on fire...hitting .343 in about 5 games. I'll keep you posted - I really need a winning streak there.

BEAT THE STREAK: I went with David Wright times 3 in Milwaukee, because he always hits well there. He only had a hit per game...but it's got me a 3-game hitting streak. Monday night was Mike Lowell against the Orioles. He tripled and homered, so the streak's at 4. I had a tough time picking a player for Tuesday night, but finally settled on Craig Biggio versus Jamey Wright of the Giants.

No comments: