Monday, May 22, 2006

KINGS OF NEW YORK

Well, maybe just for today. I need to write quick, because tonight is the finale for 24 (it's just a season finale...but I'm never watching another season - it's too addictive. So for me, it's THE finale.). But I wanted to address another finale - the finale of the Mets' 3-game series with the Yankees on Sunday night.

The Mets didn't explode offensively - they just had one good inning. Tom Glavine wasn't great, but he was good enough for six innings. The bullpen wasn't great, but got key outs when they needed them. "The closer" (I forgot the quotes yesterday) was OK, but the fact that he was able to locate the strike zone was a step in the right direction.

All told, it was a good win for the Mets, and it was a great win when you consider Saturday's circumstances. It sure feels better to have the Mets heading into a series with the Phillies having won two out of three games against the Yankees than having dropped two out of three (even if they came very close to sweeping the series).

It's the Phillies for three starting Tuesday, then the Mets go to Florida for three. This could be a very good week.

E-MAIL: From Dave in Brighton:

"Dear JohnnyMets,

Boof is available in my fantasy league. Should I drop Houston's Wandy Rodriguez to pick him up?

Signed,
Dave in Brighton"

The whole reason I am not playing regular fantasy baseball this year (the only fantasy baseball I am playing involves only teams from the AL and NL East) is because I make decisions with my heart, not my head....and therefore I am very bad at fantasy baseball. That said, I say absolutely, positively, grab Boof Bonser. He's a star in the making.

THE KID'S KIDS: The Mets look for a split with Fort Myers Monday night, having lost two games so far in that four-game series. The Mets are still atop the division with the 25-17 record.

LAST-PLACE LASTINGS: The Norfolk Tides have Monday off - but it's worth mentioning here that while I'm going to Pawtucket to see the Tides' centerfielder (Milledge), the wife and our companions, Dave and the fiance from Brighton, might get a treat and see CoCo Crisp in center field for Pawtucket. He might begin a rehab assignment at Triple-A real soon. Wouldn't that be funny if our first look at Crisp is in Pawtucket instead of at Fenway.

FANTASY UPDATE: My 5-game winning streak ended in the evening game Monday, but the What If Mets are now 30-27, 3 games back of the Phillies, with whom I have another game in the morning. I would love to take 2 out of 3. The Nationals are just a game ahead of me - they've lost 8 in a row. Streaky team.

BEAT THE STREAK: Jose Reyes had a hit last night, so it's a one-gamer for me. It's Vladimir Guerrero the next few nights.

No comments: