Monday, May 29, 2006

RAINING IN NEW YORK

The Mets are off to a great start in their game against Arizona - but it's shaping up to be a long night. It's 4-1, Mets, after 2, but thunderstorms in New York delayed the start of the game, and have now delayed the game after two innings. So I'm not going to be able to blog after the game.

First of all, I hope they finish the game. It's looking like a win (despite how early it is), and the Mets' bats are hot. Paul LoDuca extended his hitting streak to 13 games, and has 2 doubles. Cliff Floyd ripped a double, continuing the good hitting run he's been on (he'd lifted his average to .219 entering the game), and David Wright walked in his first at-bat, but he's now hitting .333. The Mets need to be able to get their at-bats in tonight. Carlos Beltran* is 0-for-2 before the delay, but he's been hitting the ball too - he hit his 14th homer on Sunday - he had 16 all of last year! Willie Randolph has kept Jose Valentin's bat in the lineup, too - he's playing for Kaz Matsui again.

So I won't be up for the end of this game - and I won't be back until Friday, due to an overnight school trip - Tuesday through Friday. But don't fear - The Wife will be running things here for the next few days. I guarantee it will be entertaining - she does a very nice job whenever she fills in for me. I just hope this doesn't turn into Red Sox central. If you have questions or comments for The Wife, send them to mrs.johnnymets@gmail.com

THE KID'S KIDS: St. Lucie had Monday off - they're still two games up on Brevard County, at 28-21.

LAST-PLACE LASTINGS: Monday was the big day where we got an up-close, live look at Lastings Milledge and the (tied for) last place Norfolk Tides. Milledge and the Tides beat Pawtucket 11-1, and stayed tied with Richmond, who also won, for last place, so the name sticks for now. Milledge was 3-for-6, with 3 RBI, and now is hitting .291. The most excitement in the game came in the sixth, when Milledge hit one into the right-centerfield gap with the bases loaded, driving home the three runs, and then getting thrown out at third. It was a double, but it showed off Milledge's hitting ability, and showed that he doesn't have the best speed in the world...because it very easily could have been a triple. I liked what I saw from Milledge, and Jeff Keppinger at the plate. Evan MacLane was also pretty impressive on the mound for the Tides. I brought a camera to take pictures, but, alas, the battery was dead. There are a couple of pictures that may be posted next weekend....if I deem it still worth putting on the site.

FANTASY UPDATE: Another 3-0 day - the What If Mets swept the Cardinals. Needless to say, I'm loving this game again right now. If the season ended today, I'd be the wild card - in fact, I'm two games ahead of all wild card contenders. So I'm in pretty good shape right now, about halfway through the season. There are 3 games against the woeful Cubs, then the All-Star break. Unfortunately, that's only a demarcation in the entire season - there's no real break. And that means I miss 12 games, being gone Tuesday through Friday, and not being able to adjust my lineup...hopefully I'll still be loving this game when I get back.

BEAT THE STREAK: Another streak killing by Craig Biggio. Don't know why I keep picking him. I need to pick four players for the next four days - I'll let you know when I get back whether any of them got me started on a streak.

No comments: