Wednesday, May 10, 2006

PHILADELPHIA PHOLLIES

Mets 13, Phillies 4 (NYM: 22-11, PHI: 18-15)

The Mets bounced back against Philadelphia Wednesday night in just about the best way they could have. They ended Tuesday night's heartbreaker with the Phillies scoring on a bad error. They began Wednesday night's laugher with a couple of runs off Phillies' errors...and then poured it on. They showed what they're made of - it was a great win. The Mets were the team we've seen all year....and the Phillies were the team they've been the past few years. All you need to see from this game is this:



What's not seen there is Tom Glavine's pitching line - 7 innings, 3 ER, 4 hits, 4 K's. The Mets need a night like that from Steve Trachsel on Thursday.

Jose Lima is going Friday in Milwaukee, Jeremi Gonzalez Saturday. Interesting nugget from Wednesday night's telecast - Lima is 10-0 in his career versus the Brewers.

BELL-Y LAUGH: Heath Bell is back with the team, having been called up when Bartolome Fortunato was sent down this week. Gary Cohen told a funny story about Bell when he got up to warm up Wednesday night. Bell was commenting on how close the fans are to the visitors' bullpen in Philadelphia, and he says he's the perfect target for them. He says (and I'm paraphrasing) - "They can make fun of my first name. They can make fun of my last name. I wear the high socks, they can make fun of that. And I look fat in the uniform."

THE KID'S KIDS: St. Lucie completed that 13-7 win over Fort Myers Tuesday night, and started a 4-game series at Sarasota on Wednesday. Three runs in the seventh, another in the eighth, and the Mets notched a 6-3 win over the Reds. E. Alfonzo picked up the save, pitching 3 nnings...I wonder if he's related to the other Alfonzo's (Edgar and Edgardo) the Mets have had in their system. The St. Lucie Mets have opened up a 3-game lead in their division, with a 21-11 record.

FANTASY UPDATE: The What if Mets won the overnight game, but that was the high point of the day. Looking for the 4-game sweep, the Mets got drilled by the Braves, 22-7. Then they lost game one to the Rangers, 10-5. I can't figure it out. My pitchers just don't respond sometimes. I do know I'll never pitch Jerry Koosman against Atlanta again. One more game against the Rangers, then I play the Indians.

BEAT THE STREAK: Conor Jackson got me a hit in his first at-bat (I like when they get it out of the way early), so it's up to a 6-gamer. I really like the way Carlos Beltran* is swinging the bat right now, so I'm taking him to make it 7.

No comments: