Wednesday, April 21, 2004

Expos 2, Mets 1 (6-8, 3.5 GB)

Tuesday, April 20, 2004

This is getting bad. The Mets were not regarded as a contender coming into the 2004 season. (Except by me.) Here's one way to know a team is not respected - their appearances on national television are few and far between. Here's a way to tell their status has fallen even further - their appearances on digital cable's "Extra Innings Package" get eliminated in favor of "better" games in the third week of the season. That's what I faced last night when I tried to tune in to the Mets and Expos. The Mets game was bumped. And the Mets are not doing anything to improve their standing in the eyes of observers. (I'm even starting to get down on them.) They've got to fix the bullpen.
So, despite my best efforts, I didn't see last night's game, but I've looked into it, and seen the hi-lites. I know that Al Leiter had his scoreless innings streak snapped - but he ONLY GAVE UP ONE RUN!!!! And he didn't factor in the decision! Come on, guys, you've got to start hitting. And the bullpen has to stop giving up runs. (Wanna look on the bright side? The bullpen broke a trend of giving up infinite amounts of runs in the late innings. Of course, to the Expos, one run is an infinite amount.)
David Weathers (1-1) was the culprit this time - again. He gave up a home run to Jose Vidro, breaking a 1-1 tie. The Mets only got four hits off Montreal pitching. Not going to win too many games that way. Tom Glavine goes tonight. The Mets need to score some runs.

Notes: The Expos are 2-3 against the Mets, and 1-8 against the rest of the league. Yikes....Jason Phillips is getting a little upset about losing playing time to Todd Zeile. I remember reading during spring training that Phillips is a bit of a hothead when things don't go right for him. I hope this doesn't become a clubhouse distraction. And I hope Art Howe doesn't try to get Phillips dealt out of spite. (Although I have a sneaking suspicion Phillips' future in NY is a bit more secure than Howe's.)...As of right now, the Mets are slated to be on the "Extra Innings" package tonight - hopefully they don't get bumped.

No comments: