Tuesday, April 27, 2004

Tonight - Mets vs. Dodgers (Mets are 7-12, 6 GB)

I hereby declare these next few games are the key to the Mets' season. If they come out of Los Angeles and San Diego within sniffing distance of .500, they're in OK shape, with Jose Reyes coming soon to boost the lineup. (Cliff Floyd should be back before the Mets visit the Padres.) We're talking 2-out-of-3 in both series, or a split of the 6 games is even good. If they're swept by one of the teams, forget it - that's too big of a hole to get out of. Tom Glavine needs to come through tonight - this is what happens when you're named the number one starter. You've got to be a stopper. And Glavine needs to stop this slide.

Here's the weekly NL East update:
Florida - 13-6
Atlanta - 10-9, 3 GB
Philadelphia - 7-10, 5 GB
Montreal - 5-15, 8.5 GB

The Mets fall in between the Phillies and Expos. If the Mets are to make the post-season, I think they're going to have to win the division. I think the rest of the National League is too strong for one of the East teams to contend for the Wild Card. Of course, for the Mets to contend, they need to catch the Marlins. Florida has been on fire. They own Philly and crushed Montreal. But they've struggled against the Braves - losing five of six. The Mets don't face Florida until the end of May. They need to keep themselves within striking distance so we can see how they handle themselves in important games. Then again, at this point, they're all fast becoming very important.

Atlanta just took a big hit - Chipper Jones was placed on the 15-day DL (strained hamstring). They are out west against the Giants, before facing the Rockies in Colorado. The Braves are in an unfamiliar position for this time of the year, just a game above .500. It'll be interesting to see how they respond to that. They've lost a little of their luster, but I still don't think you can count out the Braves.

Philadelphia might have passed the Mets, but this is what I expected of them. I think they'll struggle all year. Right now, they're in Saint Louis, then they return home to face the Diamondbacks. The Cardinals got off to a shaky start and then turned it around, and the Diamondbacks have been struggling. The Phillies probably won't make up much ground this week.

Montreal continues to chase records of futility. They're the only NL team hitting worse than the Mets, and scoring less runs. Their schedule sucks too - after playing just three games at home in Montreal (after opening the season in Florida and Puerto Rico), the Expos are now out west. They play the Padres and Dodgers - I wouldn't be surprised to see them come out of that trip with only one win in seven games.

Notes: I received confirmation from barnesandnoble.com that my order of the Jeff Pearlman book is on its way...With Matt Clement's near no-hitter of the Mets on Sunday, I've been thinking about the fact that the Mets have never thrown a no-hitter. As I mentioned earlier this year (it's somewhere on the blog, if you search for it), I think one of the Mets pitchers will throw a no-hitter this year. They've just looked so good. But I hope it happens when I'm there. I just feel like with all the time I put into this team, it's the least they can do for me. Make my ticket stub a piece of history. Mets pitchers, if you're reading this, please throw a no-hitter May 10th in Arizona. That's the next game I'll be at. If not then, I'll let you know the next time I'm in attendance. Thank you.

No comments: