Friday, April 30, 2004

Mets 6, Dodgers 1 (9-13, 6 GB)

Thursday, April 29, 2004

If you take the season one series at a time from here on out, starting with the Mets taking two out of three against the Dodgers, things are looking pretty good. This is what the Mets needed to do (although when you consider they came very close to sweeping L.A., the 2-out-of-3 scenario sounds less enticing). The Dodgers are a very good team, and the Mets caught their weaker pitchers - a good break - maybe signaling a change towards better fortune is on the way.

The Mets jumped out to the lead in the second - and after going up 1-0, they loaded the bases with 1 out. It's just their luck, though, that Jae Seo would be up, and ground into a double play, keeping it 1-0. Seo (1-3) was great last night (on the mound) - six and a third quality innings, earning his first win of the year. He's been very good since the call-up. Either being sent down woke him up, or he wasn't going full-tilt in spring training.

Karim Garcia added to the Mets lead with a 2-run bomb to right in the third inning. If you've been a regular reader, you know how I feel about Garcia. I'll take the homer, but I'm also glad it makes him a more valuable trade commodity, should the Mets consider such a thing.

The only negative from last night's game was that Mike Piazza looked lost against Jeff Weaver. I don't think I've seen him look worse against a pitcher so far this year - hopefully the Mets won't face Weaver again, just for that reason.

But back to the positives - the Mets were able to put away the opponent again last night - something that's been happening more and more in their wins. Up 3-1 through 7 innings, the Mets rallied - Danny Garcia's RBI single to right field off Wilson Alvarez broke a 10-inning scoreless inning streak by Alvarez. Then Mike Stanton (!!!) hit an RBI-single to left. All I'll say about that is relief pitchers don't get lucky hits on sucky teams. It's a sign of good things to come, my friends. Trust me. Mike Cameron added a solo homer leading off the ninth inning. I can't believe how many home runs the Mets hit in this series.

This offense is starting to click. I can't help but think good things. Here's another good thought - the Mets go into a pitcher's park in San Diego this weekend. Tyler Yates, Al Leiter, and Tom Glavine are pitching against the Padres. The Padres aren't too shabby this year, but here's a stat for you. Mets starters this year lead the league in ERA. And Yates has pitched well since his bad start against the Braves. And we all know about Leiter and Glavine so far this year. Taking two out of three would be nice again...and is very possible. And dare I say it, a Mets sweep would be better....

Notes: I happened to catch a few minutes of the WFAN pre-game show last night, and Art Howe said he was resting Ricky Gutierrez (as noted yesterday, Gutierrez has not exactly been lighting it up - maybe Art reads my blog) and starting Garcia. Then Howe says, "Garcia's my pick to click", whatever that means. But it turned out he was right, with Garcia getting a clutch hit, and making a good defensive play sliding to field a grounder in the first inning. Best call Art's made so far as Mets manager - and keep reading my site, Art...The Mets have won 8 of their last 11 at Dodger Stadium...I still haven't received my '86 Mets book. I should have just gone to the store and bought it...Oh, and I probably should have put this up higher, but oh well - Jose Reyes felt something in his hamstring during a minor league rehab game, and left the game. The Mets are saying it was precautionary, but I tend to doubt he'll be at Shea for next week's homestand. We'll see...Cliff Floyd could be back as early as Saturday in San Diego.

No comments: