Thursday, June 26, 2008

WOO! FRESNO STATE! *YAWN*

I want to care about this great story, about Fresno State winning their first ever men's championship, about the Bulldogs being the lowest-seeded team to ever win a college championship.

But I can't quite wrap my head around the College World Series, and therefore I can't quite wrap my head around this accomplishment, and I have a feeling I'm not the only sports fan who feels that way.

I'm not out to disparage college baseball. I just never understood it. It gets very little press, and I didn't seek out information. I still don't really understand the College World Series tournament. (And I'm skeptical enough to believe that had ESPN not had the TV rights to the College World Series, this upset of historic proportions would not have gotten the press it did.)

So I need some comparisons. The 2008 Fresno State Bulldogs winning the College World Series is like __________ winning the NCAA Tournament. From what I gather, it's not like a #16 seed winning in basketball. And Fresno State won its conference tournament...so would it be like a #11-to-#14 seed winning? (A conference champ that barely made the tourney - like Georgia this year?)

What is the pro comparison? Is there one, since this is so historic?

What does it mean that Fresno State has the most losses of any college baseball championship team in history? What does a college baseball team usually lose?

I guess my problem is that you can't not give attention to a sport like college baseball for so long, and then expect everyone to drop everything and give a care about the sport when something like this happens. (And I am aware that in certain parts of the country, this blog entry seems absurd, because everyone follows college baseball there. I've just never experienced that, and I think...I think....I'm in the majority.)

So I want to care about this huge sports upset/story. I just don't know how.

No comments: