Tuesday, March 21, 2006

SHOULD HAVE PUT AN ASTERISK ON HIM

Well, something was bound to happen, because things were going a little too well. Billy Wagner has a problem with the middle finger on his left (throwing) hand. He's been ordered to shut down for a while, in the hope that it will go away. It's a tendon irritation or something complicated like that. Wagner doesn't seem to think it's a big deal right now....but what I don't think Wagner realizes is that he is now a Met. A high-priced Met. And sometimes little things turn into big things. So hopefully this is nothing, and it goes away quickly. Otherwise, Billy Wagner isn't available early in the season, and things get a little dicey for the Mets' championship hopes. I'll step up the worrying if Wagner's not back in a week.

RICKEY TALKS: Rickey Henderson apparently held court with the Mets' speedsters (and some catchers) to give base-stealing tips. He also gave tips on getting on base, something the Mets need THE GREATEST BALLPLAYER WHO EVER LIVED, Jose Reyes, to improve at. It can't hurt that he's learning from Henderson. As long as he just learns the baseball skills - not all the baggage that goes along with them.

'86 METS ROUNDUP: This is just great - on Opening Day, Jesse Orosco will throw out the ceremonial first pitch...to Hall of Famer Gary Carter, re-creating the last pitch of the 1986 season. It's going to be the kickoff to the season-long 20th anniversary of the 1986 Championship. I love it. I wish I could be there. I also hope Orosco and Carter don't try any re-enacting the celebration silliness - that would ruin the moment. I've been waiting 20 years for a 1986 Mets reunion - for it to come in a year where the Mets can recapture a championship....it definitely might be worth the wait.

PICKS FOR 2006 (It rhymes):

I'll go into these picks more in-depth as the week progresses - but I feel really good about the Mets this year. Obviously. And I think the White Sox, if they did it last year, can make the World Series again this year - but this year, they'll have to face the Mets. Also note that there are no Yankees in this bracket - I just think there's only room for one team out of the AL East this year...and later this week, I'll tell you why it's the Red Sox.

No comments: