Tuesday, December 21, 2004

Unfortunately, due to a holiday concert at my school, and the wife needing the computer, I need to keep this one short. So I will take a couple of e-mails, and save a huge long rant of an e-mail for tomorrow...as well as my comments on Chad Pennington's comments.

"Dear JohnnyJets,
Do you find it a privelege to run a New York Jets blog? ChadPennington says you should, because you get to write about some of the greatest athletes in the world for an audience that is known to include at least 3 people who are not your wife.
On a separate note, could you, as a Jets fan experienced at hysteric overreaction, give me any tips on how I should hysterically overreact to the Pats' loss last night [Monday]?
I have an unsubstantiated theory that the Pats are play much worse in the final 2 minutes of the first half and of the game than they do the other 56 minutes.
I can cite last night [Monday], and the end of the first half against the Ravens.
I have no other proof.
On the Jags bandwagon since 9/04,
Dave in S.C."

Dave - I'll reserve comment on the Pennington comments until tomorrow. Here's how you can hysterically overreact to the Patriots' :
"Oh my God, the Patriots lost to the Dolphins!! That was horrible. How can I ever get past that disaster of a game?!?! I hope they don't even show up in New York on Sunday, since it's going to be all downhill from here." That might be a start.

As for your theory that the Pats are a bad "final 2 minute" team, remember that the first time they played the Jets, the Patriots won the game with a drive in the final two minutes of the first half. (Then the teams played to a scoreless second half.) Tom Brady has also won more than his share of games coming back late in the game...I can't think of whether or not that has happened yet this year, though...maybe week 1 against Indy. The fact is, they've been ahead so much this year, they haven't had to play too well in the "final two minutes".

One more e-mail:

"Dear JohnnyJets-

Please note that for the last two weeks of the season, I will not be providing picks to your Web site. I have utterly choked since broadcasting my picks, and have fallen to #223 in the country. I was at 72 two weeks ago! If you want me to make a miracle run at winning the plasma TV, you will cease and desist from publishing my picks. I can't deal with the pressure.

Sincerely,
Your Wife"

Thanks, Wife. I was actually going to comment on this fact before I knew the wife had sent an e-mail...I knew I should have just published the picks without asking her - I knew it would put the pressure on. She says I should say she choked worse than Tom Brady on Monday night. I prefer to compare her to the singing frog in the old Warner Bros. cartoon...she picks the games when no one's looking, and then when everyone's attention is on her, she acts like she's just your run of the mill girl.

OK...tomorrow is the last day of school, so I will start writing more then. I'm actually undecided on whether I will print the Al Montoya e-mail - it's got an angry tone...that's just not what we're all about here at johnnyjets.blogspot.com. Especially during the holidays. Maybe that's the answer to Dave's question - send angry e-mails as hysteric overraction to your team losing to one of the worst teams in football.

No comments: