Friday, November 21, 2008

WHY TY?

It didn't go unnoticed at 200 Miles From the Citi...just unmentioned.

When the Jets signed Ty Law the week of the Patriots game, I thought it was unnecessary. I had just finished singing the praises of the secondary - they were definitely not one of the team's weaknesses - they were actually doing a fine job. So my initial reaction was, "Why would you do that?"

I actually got angry on Sunday when I was watching the Raiders-Dolphins game and saw that the Raiders had picked up Justin Miller, who I learned the Jets had dropped to clear the roster space for Law (I've been following things pretty closely - but I guess not that closely. I guess maybe I should be paying more attention.). I felt like Miller's a young guy, Law wouldn't be around for long...seemed like a high price to pay for a rental.

And the word 'rental' got me thinking about the real reason the Jets signed Ty Law, and it sort of dawned on me - it probably was a smart move. Law, like David Cone in the early-to-mid-90's in baseball, is a hired gun.
OK - maybe it's not the best comparison. Cone was in demand because of his arm, and because he was one of the best at his position in the game. Law is with the Jets because of, for lack of a better term, the intangibles - leadership on a relatively unsuccessful defense (Kris Jenkins has been to a Super Bowl, but not a lot of others have won anything), and a very young secondary.

But I don't think there's any denying that this was the Jets' mindset. And I've come to the conclusion that it was probably a smart move.

Add to that the fact that Law had a pretty good game his first game back with the Jets (the above last-second touchdown notwithstanding - he's actually not pictured because he's obscured by the receiver who beat him there), and it looks even better. Law will be relied on again in a huge game this weekend...and the rest of the season he will be playing two roles for the Jets - team leader (the offense has their own seasoned vet at the quarterback position) and shutdown corner.

No comments: