Wednesday, January 09, 2008

I WON!!!!

This has been driving me nuts lately. Perhaps it's because it's on a blog, and out there for all to see (see the top right hand side of this page), but my johnnymetsmail@yahoo.com e-mail address gets all kind of junk mail. I never get junk mail at my usual e-mail addresses, but that's because I only release those to legit businesses. But I get a ton at this one.

So each time I log in, it says I have 3 or 4 messages, and I get my hopes up that someone has e-mailed the site (it just doesn't happen much anymore, since I added the comments section), and it turns out that they're all junk. But not just any kind of junk - trick junk. To wit (I italicize so you can just skip past the rest of the letter when you have had enough, and get back to my analysis):

"The Irish Lottery
P O Box 1010
11 G Lower Dorset Street,
Dublin 1, Ireland
(Customer Services)

Ref: UK/9420X2/68
Batch: 074/05/ZY369

We happily announce to you the draw (#1004) of the IRISH LOTTERY online
Sweepstakes International program held on Saturday 05 January 2008. It
is now available for claims and you are getting the final NOTIFICATION
as
regards this.Your e-mail address attached to ticket number: 56475600545
188
with Serial number 5368/02 drew the lucky numbers:27, 29, 30, 33, 40,
43,
Bonus 36,which subsequently won you the lottery in the 1st category i.e
match 5 plus bonus.You have therefore been approved to claim a total
sum of
£1.35 Million (One million, three hundred and fifty thousand, pounds
sterling) in
cash credited to file KTU/9023118308/03. This is from a total cash
prize of
£4,419,864 shared amongst the (2) lucky winners in this category
i.e. Match 6 plus bonus. All participants for the online version were
selected randomly from World Wide Web sites through computer draw
system
and extracted from over 100,000 unions, associations, and corporate
bodies
that are listed online. This promotion takes place weekly.

To file for your claim, please contact our fiduciary agent:

Name: Mr. Curtis Smith,
E-mail: irishclaimscentre01@live.com
Tel :+44 70457 36906
Tel :( +44)-7045726069

Fill the Below informations and send to the fiduciary agent for your
claims verification:

1.Full Name:
2.Full Address:
3.Marital Status:
4.Occupation:
5.Age:
6.Sex:
7.Nationality:
8.Country Of Residence:
9.Telephone Number:

Congratulations from me and members of staff of THE IRISH LOTTERY.

Yours faithfully,
Sir. Wilson Frank
Online coordinator for THE IRISH LOTTERY
Sweepstakes International Program

Congratulations Lucky Winner !!!
"

I can't really have won, can I? If I ignored the first 100 messages, would they keep sending me notices that I won? They'd probably have given up on me by now if this was a legit organization, right? But the big problem here is that I could have won an Irish lottery, and I just don't know.

And I'll continue not knowing - because they'll continue sending me notices, and I'll keep hitting delete. And don't get me started on the guy in Africa who keeps asking me to send money like we're long-lost pals.

I don't know what to make of this, but I figured, since I usually print e-mails from that e-mail address, I might as well print that one. I do know this: If I'm not cashing in on a possible Irish Lottery win....I'm probably missing out on a lot of potatoes and beer.

No comments: