Monday, August 15, 2005

The Mets were off on Monday, preparing for a homestand against the Pirates and Nationals. So I will clear up a few things. First of all, I said in my last post that the Mets were three back of the wild card - it was actually four, and now it is four-and-a-half because the Astros beat the Cubs on Monday.

I forgot to mention a quote I read from Doug Mientkiewicz. He reacted to David Wright's great bare-handed diving catch last week in San Diego by saying it was the "play of the year. [Wright] better not get a girlfriend before February, because I want to go with him to the ESPY'S."

The Mets are really keeping the information on Carlos Beltran* very close to the vest. It's making me worried. Mike Cameron will most likely be out the rest of the season. But Beltran*, they first made it sound like he wasn't hurt at all. Then it turned out he spent the night in the hospital, and now Beltran* may undergo some facial surgery. It's not only affecting the Mets' lineup, but it's affecting my fantasy lineup. I just wish they'd make a declaration about him.

It doesn't have anything to do with the Mets, but Randy Winn hit for the cycle in his first four at-bats on Monday. He has found new life since his trade to San Francisco. And in other baseball news - Curt Schilling is the worst closer ever. Monday he blew a win for Bronson Arroyo in Detroit. Last week he gave up about ten homers in the weekend series to the White Sox. (Have you noticed yet that when I'm not sure about the exact number of some stat I make up some outrageous number to cover up for that fact? Man, I do that a lot. Maybe I should start looking stuff up.)

There is an e-mail to check, so I'll do that:

"JohnnyMets-

Quick baseball question for you: in yesterday's Sox game that was rained out, do the stats count? This has been weighing on my mind all morning.

Thank you.

-Your Wife"

Hi, Wife. No, the stats do not count. This is unfortunate for White Sox fans, who may have cared that their players' RBI's or Runs scored don't count. But for Matt Clement, who gave up five runs, it's a great feeling. If it were a Mets game, and David Wright had a double erased by the rain, I'd be mad.

Sometimes, if it rains torrentially in the 7th inning and the game is tied, but it's an official game, the stats will count, but the game will be started over when it is made up. That's about the only time stats from a rained out game will count.

WRIGHT WATCH: Wright is now tied for fifth in the National League with 32 doubles.

WRIGHT NEEDS 12 DOUBLES IN THE TEAM'S FINAL 45 GAMES TO TIE THE TEAM RECORD.

Seems pretty do-able, doesn't it?

THE KID'S KIDS: A 9-0 win for the Gulf Coast Mets. Now 31-14, 11 games up in their division. 10 games left. They've clinched something, but I have to call down there and figure out if that means anything.

No comments: