Tuesday, August 23, 2005

The Mets are about to get underway in Arizona against the Diamondbacks as I write this, but I have some school stuff in the morning, and if I couldn't write after last night's game, there's no chance I'm going to be able to write after tonight's game.

Tom Glavine pitched a great game on Monday night, beating the Diamondbacks, 4-1. And Braden Looper showed no signs of being a shaky closer, pitching a very clean ninth inning, relieving Glavine with a runner on first in the ninth, getting a double play, then retiring the side. Mike Jacobs, the rookie, started at first base. First base has been a disaster for the Mets this year. It's funny - third base, historically, has been the problem for the Mets, but now that they've solved third, with Future Hall of Famer David Wright, first seems to have become a problem.

Also, coming on the heels of Dave from Brighton's e-mail on Monday, ESPNRadio led one of their 20/20 SportsCenter updates by saying the Mets are coming on strong for the Wild Card....I think the people at ESPNRadio must be reading the blog now. Glad, though, that at least the Mets are starting to get some national recognition.

The Braves are playing the Cubs right now, and they're losing, so the Mets could draw closer in the NL East. Don't write the Braves in as division champs just yet - something tells me this isn't going to be their year. Also, the Cardinals will not be representing the National League in the World Series this year. Mark my words. They're a battered team right now, and they will get upended by someone in the playoffs. Last year was an aberration, where they actually survived the playoffs. It's not going to happen again.

Many thanks to Kevin from Wilmington, Southern Beaureau Chief of johnnymets.blogspot.com. He came through with the ESPN.com article on Gary Carter, Manager. (I mistakenly said the article started out talking about George Brett's failure as a manager - it was actually Mike Schmidt.) It's a good article, and it basically says Carter won't sit around toiling in the Gulf Coast League much after this year. He wants a full (or at least longer) season job, and he wants a higher level. And the article says with the success he's had at the Gulf Coast League, he's shown he deserves the shot. I called Port St. Lucie again, and got no answer. The article also didn't answer my question about a Gulf Coast League post-season.

Anyway, thanks to Kevin for sending me the article. He wins the johnnymets.blogspot.com hat. If it existed.

I'm going to bed, but I think tomorrow I need to comment on the Steve Trachsel situation, and the September 1st call-ups. Hopefully I remember to do that.

ELTRAN*'S: (Through games of Monday) 32-118 (.271 AVG.) 2 HR, 15 RBI, 24 Runs, 10 SB

WRIGHT WATCH: No doubles in a while - he's going to need to go on a doubles tear.

SECOND HALF: 10 SEASON TOTAL: 32 TEAM RECORD: 44

WRIGHT NEEDS 12 DOUBLES IN THE TEAM'S FINAL 38 GAMES TO TIE.

THE KID'S KIDS: The Gulf Coast Mets pulled out a 4-3, 10-inning win on Tuesday. Must have been some good managing by The Kid. The Mets are 36-16, 12 games up in their division. I just wish I knew what implications that had.

No comments: