Wednesday, September 06, 2006

REIGN OUT

Mets 4, Braves 1; Mets 8, Braves 0 (NYM: 86-52, ATL: 66-73)

I like to think the Mets were sending a message. Coming off back-t0-back weak offensive games, then a rain out, the Mets showed the Atlanta Braves exactly why they won't be celebrating their 15th straight division title - and why the Mets are going to be the new National League East champs.

I only saw about 4 of the 18 innings in Wednesday's doubleheader, but I saw enough to get the impression that the Mets pretty much dominated both games. In game one, Dave Williams (I'm really sorry I underestimated you, Mr. Williams) turned in another stellar outing, getting the win, and Billy Wagner notched the save. ESPN showed a stat that wih the Mets, Williams' ERA is about 3.24 or so, where it was 7+ in Cincinnati.

Then in game 2, Jose Reyes led the game off with a homer, and the Mets never looked back. Paced by Oliver Perez's best outing as a Met, by far, (5 hits, 6 K's, in a complete-game shutout), the Mets broke the game open with a 4-run 6th inning.

There weren't really many stellar performances, but a couple stood out for the Mets. Jose Reyes was 4-for-8, going 2-for-4 in both games. And Shawn Green had his best games as a Met, going 6-for-8, 3-for-4 in both games, with a homer in both.

I thought the doubleheader Wednesday was supposed to be day-night, so I apologize if I wrote that, because it obviously wasn't the case. Back to one game at a time on Thursday, when the Mets host the Dodgers.


MAGIC NUMBER: The Mets did their part, winning both of their games on Wednesday, making the Magic Number 9 before the Phillies even took the field for their game against Houston. Then Houston got 4 runs in the top of the ninth, beating the Phillies, knocking the Magic Number to 8. From 11 to 8 - a 3 number day!

THOSE FLORIDA MARLINS: Finally, a no-hitter. I wait for the first no-hitter of the year every year (still waiting for 2005's). Besides the Mets, it's the next best part of the DirecTV baseball package...finding out there's a no-hitter going on, then watching it. Well, Wednesday night that moment finally came for 2006 - in the unlikely form of Anibel Sanchez of the Florida Marlins. He seemed very likable in his post-game interview, so I'm glad he did it. I am also impressed by all of the Marlins' young pitching.

And finally, on the Marlins - I understand that Jeffrey Loria doesn't see eye-to-eye with Joe Girardi. But the man can manage. And somehow, because this is the way things always work in sports, Girardi will end up managing the Cubs next year, because he's from the area, and Dusty Baker will be gone. But Loria shouldn't let Girardi go, because this season has been an amazing managing job by him, and the Marlins will take a step backwards if Girardi leaves...I'm sure of it.
GOOD NEWS: I've figured out the ideal way to handle the blog and the post-season. As you may or may not know, I get very tired during the school year, and become like an old man, with an early bedtime. I can't blog after the games, like I do during the regular season. So I thought, what with the Mets playing deep into the post-season this year (hopefully), how can I chronicle the run to the title?

Well, fret no more. I have a laptop for work, so I think I will write in a word document as the games are going on, so I capture the emotion of the live event, and just cut and paste it the next day. (I wouldn't be able to put the word document on-line until the next day at school.) The postings will be a little late, but at least they will be there. So I think that will solve all our problems.

THE KID'S KIDS: The St. Lucie Mets gave up three runs in the ninth, but held on to beat Palm Beach in Game 1 of their best-of-three series Tuesday night, 6-4. Wednesday night, they advanced to the Championship Round, with a 6-5 win. This was Hall of Famer Gary Carter's first managing post-season series win - two more wins (I think) from a minor league championship!

FINAL FOOTBALL REMINDER: I would love all of my readers to sign up for our football pick 'em game, on Yahoo!. The instructions are on the Jets site - with the updated info you need - the League ID #. So sign up ASAP! Picks must be in by 5 minutes before kickoff of the week's first game - which in this case is Thursday night. (Thanks to The Wife, Dave in Brighton, and the Southern Bureau for already signing up.)

No comments: