Sunday, April 23, 2006

PADRES 7, METS 4

After dropping two out of three to the Braves in New York, the Mets split their 4-game weekend series with the Padres in beautiful San Diego. I need to go to bed, but there are some things I want to say, so I'll throw them out there, and then hopefully I'll be back by either Monday or Tuesday night (the Mets' West Coast swing is going to make it hard to do regular nightly updates):

GIANTS/ROCKIES: This Jose Mesa thing is ridiculous. Omar Vizquel wrote a book a few years back in which he called out Mesa for blowing the save for the Indians in Game 7 of the 1997 World Series. Mesa's response is that he said if he faced Vizquel 10 more times on the field, he'd hit him 10 times. They last met in 2003, and Mesa hit him (shortly after the book came out, I think). Then they faced each other Saturday night, and Mesa hit him. Vizquel calmly took his base, but on Sunday Matt Morris of the Giants hit two of the first five Rockies he faced. Mesa needs to cool it. Or at least Vizquel should charge the mound and face Mesa so they can settle this. But then Vizquel would be dead. So that probably wouldn't be the best solution.

THOME: I can't believe the season Jim Thome is having in Chicago. I thought he was washed up. He scored a run in the team's first 17 games (among other things). That streak ended on Sunday, as the White Sox won their eighth in a row, but that's impressive. That's making things happen. Forget about my Mike Lowell pick for Comeback Player of the Year (which is also looking pretty good) - it's going to be Thome in a runaway if he keeps this up.

I have much to say about my West Coast trip, but it's going to be a rough week sleep-wise, so I'd better get a jump on the sleep and go to bed now. I'll try to post regularly this week as I recover from the longest game in PETCO Park history.

No comments: