Monday, April 10, 2006

OFF DAY

The Mets had Monday off, as they get ready for this week's grudge match against the Nationals in Washington. I spent part of the off-day watching some of the Cardinals' home opener (in their brand-new ballpark) against the Brewers. I've decided the Mets may have what puts them over the top in the National League this season - a good bullpen.

I know it's early, but the Mets' bullpen has looked good. And the Braves' bullpen has not. And after seeing the Cardinals get swept by the Cubs, including Jason Isringhausen giving up a grand slam to lose the last game of that series, I'm thinking the Cardinals don't have the greatest bullpen around either. Here's another hint as to how good the Cardinals' bullpen is: they have Braden Looper. Isringhausen made the ninth inning very interesting on Monday too - letting the Brewers get the go-ahead run to the plate in the ninth. I don't think he has it this year - and I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up on the DL at some point. Then make way for Looper. So with the additions the Mets have made, I think that's going to be a strength, while it may be a weakness for the other National League powers. Just something to watch for.

NEW STADIUMS: The Cardinals opened up their beautiful new ballpark. From the outside, the stadium looks great - like one of the new ballparks we see all around the majors. On the inside, it looks like the old Busch Stadium, post-artificial turf. It really looks plain. Nothing distinguishes it. Which I guess is probably what Cardinals ownership wanted - a traditional look.

I hope (and I know that they will) the Mets make their stadium stand out when it is built. Here's a look at what the stadium will look like:



I just can't believe this is actually going to happen for the Mets. I won't have to travel all around the U.S. to check out neat ballparks (although I will) - I just have to go to NYC. Of course, I'll probably have trouble getting tickets, because by then people will be jumping all over the Mets bandwagon.

ROTATION: Brian Bannister pitches for the Mets Tuesday afternoon in Washington, keeping his rotation spot. Pedro Martinez* pitches Wednesday, and then it's Victor Zambrano on Thursday. Zambrano has had plenty of time now to rest his balky hamstring, after the rainout Saturday pushed his Sunday start way back.

PEDRO* AND THE ROTATION: I had a thought this weekend. Remember when Pedro* could have, possibly, made the Opening Day start for the Mets? And then he could have started game 2, but then all of a sudden, he's starting game 3? Now, remember there was a bit of a stir over the fact that Pedro* really didn't want to pitch in Boston when the Mets went to Fenway? Well, if my math is correct (and I need to check this again), if Pedro* started Game 2 of the season, he would be on schedule to pitch in Boston. If he started Opening Day, he would definitely be pitching in Boston. But he started game 3, and that puts him on target (again, I think), to miss the Boston series. Interesting, no?

Now, I'm not accusing Pedro* of faking his injury to miss the WBC, and now to avoid becoming a fan target in Boston. I'm not. It's the last thing I'd want to do, especially after Pedro* yelled at Mike Lupica in the Mets' clubhouse after the rainout on Saturday about an article he misinterpreted as Lupica saying he was faking his injury. I don't want that. I'm just pointing out the interesting fact that Pedro* might be missing his start in Boston. That's all.

THE KID'S KIDS: The St. Lucie Mets lost their first game on Sunday to Vero Beach. They're now 3-1 on the young season. Monday night they started a three-game series against the Daytona Cubs. I'm not sticking around for a final score - I'll update that on Tuesday night.

BEAT THE STREAK: Thank you very much Brian Roberts. I am on a 7-game streak right now. I took Alex Rodriguez against the Royals at Yankee Stadium for Tuesday. The bad news is next week we are away, and I always do poorly at Beat the Streak when I have to pick far in advance, a la a vacation. The good news is, I'm going to California in just three more days!

Mets-Nationals brawl-fest begins Tuesday night - Bannister's second major league start.

No comments: