Tuesday, September 13, 2005

It's been a little while since I've posted, but since I might be getting some more readers, so I figured I'd better put something interesting to read on here.

For my new North Carolina visitors, I should tell you about myself. I am a huge Mets fan, and I write in this space so I can vent about such things as the Mets being 2-9 in September, right after it looked like they turned a corner and were about to make a post-season push.

For my regular readers - remember when the Mets started their stretch of 17 out of 20 on the road with a 5-2 start? Well, after dropping 2 of the 3 home games in between, the Mets went 2-8, finishing 7-10 in those games. Tonight, Tuesday night, they open up a 3-game homestand against the Nationals, then it's the Braves and Marlins at Shea. This is a long homestand - 9 games. If the Mets go 9-0, maybe I'll come back on here and talk about them going to the playoffs. But they won't, because they have to play the Braves, and they can't beat the Braves.

The Mets' record is 71-72 right now - they're five-and-a-half behind the Marlins for the wild card. They're tied with the Brewers - that should tell you about all you need to know.

You also need to know, especially if you're new to the site, that David Wright hit his 39th double of the year on Sunday - so he is five away from tying the team record for doubles in a season (44). He has 19 games left to get those five doubles - the Wright Watch will be in full force.

One more thing for the many new readers I'm sure to get from all of the Orange Couch readers - you know, me, Dave in Miami, Dave in Brighton (when he gets back from Napa), and Justin in New York - (unless the Orange Couch gets more readers than I do....which I find hard to believe...actually, I just listed more readers than I get, so I guess it does) - I am a teacher, so I can't stay up until the end of the baseball games anymore - and if I do, it's watching from bed. So I can't update the site every day after games. But I'll try.

OK - I gotta go - Sam Shelby just walked in. I bet he wants to talk about gearing the blog towards a southeastern audience. I'll just smile and nod.

No comments: