Monday, January 03, 2005

Congratulations to the Jets on the playoffs, and congratulations to both of my readers for being 2 of the 27% of all Americans who read blogs. That's up from 17% - the increase all in the past year. Maybe next year at this time I'll have a 10% increase in readership.

The San Diego papers are talking tough. Actually, I only read one article in the San Diego Union-Tribune. It says the Jets backed in to the playoffs, and the Chargers are a much different team than the team the Jets faced in Week 2. That may be true, but the article also mentions the fact that of the Chargers' 12 wins, none came against playoff teams. Their four losses came to the Jets, Falcons, Colts, and Broncos - playoff teams all. So let's get on the Chargers' back for building up wins against weak teams. They played the NFC South, including such powerhouses as the aforementioned Falcons, and the Buccaneers, the Panthers, and the Saints (and the Saints and the Panthers came when those teams were playing their worst football of the season). Then, factor in the fact that the Chargers play in the AFC West, where they went 5-1 against the Broncos, Raiders, and Chiefs. The Jets got their 10 wins against some bad teams, but the Chargers also have been bottom-feeders. At least the Jets have a shot in an East coast city in the second round. The Chargers don't stand a chance.

Another thing about San Diego. It's been a special place for the Jets the past few years. In 2002, the Jets went to San Diego with a 1-4 record, and many expected them to be blown out of the water. The Jets proceeded to win, 44-10 (I think...I'm sure we'll hear about that game this week, and I'm too lazy to look it up right now), and turned their season around, advancing to the playoffs behind the right arm of one Chad Pennington. This year, in Week 2, in what was then considered to be a big test for the Jets, the Jets won again in San Diego, 34-28. Perhaps this weekend we'll see another turnaround. The Jets have been struggling lately. Chad Pennington says he's searching for a rhythm. Perhaps he'll find it in San Diego, and lead the Jets on the four-game winning streak to end all four-game winning streaks.

I need to get to bed (it's late here on the East coast, the chilly East coast, where the real football teams play), but I have an e-mail to address:

"Dear JohnnyJets,

How much do you think the early-season win over San Diego is playing
in the minds of the Jets (and the Chargers, for that matter)? Do you
think it makes the Jets more likely to win Saturday's game because
they know they can beat SD, or do you think it doesn't really matter
because both teams have warmed up/matured/weathered the season since
then?

Can you feel the vibes from Patriots fans who want the Jets to win so
New England doesn't have to play Indy?

I tuned into the last 2 minutes of regulation yesterday, just enough
time to hear Deirdorf (sp?) say Pennington looked hurt on the final
drive. Did you see anything that made you think that?

Also, do you think CBS was trying to jinx Pennington by putting up
that graphic that said he'd never thrown an INT in the red zone in his
career? (He almost threw 2 immediately following.)

Dave in Brighton"

Last things first, Dave, I don't think CBS was trying to jinx Pennington, but for that reason, I'm always afraid to mention that stat. It's one of my favorite stats in the history of football...and it's come close to being broken many times over the past two seasons. Last year, Pennington threw one of his five interceptions against the Patriots from just outside the 20 yard line, keeping the streak alive. So I will never mention it in writing...and hope CBS refrains from showing the stat during the playoffs (and ABC and hopefully Fox, home of the Super Bowl, for that matter).

I couldn't hear Dierdorf towards the end of the game, and I intentionally tried not to listen, since they were so bad. But I must apologize (to my readers, not to Dierdorf), and correct an error from yesterday's posting. I said something to the effect of Dierdorf's bias to his Rams...he played for the St. Louis Cardinals, and still lives in the St. Louis area, and was clearly biased to the Saint Louis football team, not the Rams...sorry for the error. I got my former St. Louis Cardinals mixed up with my former Los Angeles Rams...My bad.

As for your first comment, as I mentioned above, I think the early season meeting only serves to boost the Jets' confidence. I don't think it affects the Chargers too much, but I do think it helps the Jets to know that they can go into San Diego and win.

And since you mention the Patriots fans...I should throw this out there. Here are the possibilities for Round 2:

Jets win, Colts win: Jets play the Steelers, Patriots play the Colts
Jets win, Broncos win: Jets play Patriots, Broncos play Steelers
Chargers win, Colts win: Patriots play Colts, Steelers play Chargers
Chargers win, Broncos win: Patriots play Chargers, Steelers play Broncos.

Since the Steelers had the better record, they always play the lowest seed remaining. So I'm sorry to inform you Dave, when the Jets win, the Patriots (and their fans) need to root real hard for the Broncos to avoid the Colts.

No comments: