Thursday, January 06, 2005

By the time my readers read this, the Jets will be in San Diego, and Friday's practice will be the last before the game. I'm getting pretty excited.

A wrap-around of Jets/Chargers news:

Herman Edwards says Chad Pennington was throwing the ball really well in practice on Wednesday (Thursday was the travel day). That comment was met with skepticism by the New York media (but what aren't they skeptical about). Pennington himself says his shoulder is improving, and feeling better. Whatever. I'm buying what they're selling - just win, Jets. Apparently neither John Abraham or Wayne Chrebet are the sure bets to play they were the other day. I expect we'll see a little of Abraham...I don't know about Chrebet - concussions are tricky.

The San Diego papers aren't even really worth reading. In Chargers news, though - Drew Brees was named Comeback Player of the Year. There wasn't much competition there, I'm sure. I think tomorrow I'll do a breakdown by key position as a last-day preview.

For now, though, a couple of e-mails to address:

Dear JohnnyJets,
I worry that you're going to watch the game in your home, where theJets have just a .571 winning percentage.

It's ultimately your decision. But are you willing to accept responsibility for the Jets losing?

Maybe you could break down the Jets record, on games watched at your home, when Kathy was there and when she wasn't there.

That would be a helpful stat.

Dave"

Dave, you're absolutely right, I can't believe I let that stat slip through the cracks. The games I watched at home were:

CIN (W), MIA (W), BAL (L), NE (L), BUF (L), CLE (W), SEA (W)

I remember Kathy being in and out for the Cincinnati game (but out more than in), and the same with Baltimore (perhaps in more than out). The others, I think she was there for most of, although I sometimes get so absorbed in the games I lose track of the wife. I'll say she was there for all of the Miami game (Monday night), the New England game, the Buffalo game, and the Cleveland game. But I've been wrong before. So the winning percentage with her in full attendance is 2-2, without, it's 2-1. So I guess it's a .667 winning percentage at home without Kathy versus a .750 winning percentage at the bar without her. I like staying at home, so I'll take that chance.

One more from Dave:

"JohnnyJets,

For entertainment purposes, what was your regular season recordagainst the spread? Kathy's?

Dave in Brighton"

I was going to put this in, but I was waiting until I had Kathy's numbers at my disposal. This was a weak year for me, in all honesty. I went 8-7-1 in the final week, but I threw out my paperwork last night, so I'm not sure what my overall record was. I think I finished at .500 (for entertainment purposes only). Kathy finished 115 overall in the ESPN pool - out of 60,000 people. Not bad. But I don't have her numbers at my disposal right now. I'll try to get them tomorrow. Then I'll pick the other playoff games (for entertainment purposes only), and preview the Jets/Chargers game. I can't wait.

One more thing - I'm not going to say I'm happy the Jets lost going into the playoffs, but I'm just so darn happy the Jets are in the playoffs. It doesn't happen much, and hasn't happened much in my lifetime. This is an unprecedented streak they are on right now, believe it or not (three playoff appearances in four years). Now, don't get me wrong - I'll be disappointed if they don't win a couple of games (namely, four). But to say I'm disappointed with them finishing at 10-6 when they could have been 11-5 or even 12-4...I'd be lying. 10-6 is fine with me. If they had won 2 more games...they'd be right where they are now - at San Diego, in the first wild card spot. And I'd be disappointed with that.

No comments: