Friday, June 25, 2004

Reds 6, Mets 2 (35-36, 3.5 GB)

Thursday, June 24, 2004

Wow, that sucked. I have to confess, I couldn't stay awake for much of yesterday's game. (Unfortunately, I would have been better off sleeping through the whole thing.) I saw the first couple of innings, Mets were down 1-0 in the second. Then next thing I knew, it was 2-1 Mets, and I was excited. So excited that I fell back asleep. Only to wake up and see 2-2, Stanton in with runners on the corners. I forced myself to stay awake to see what would happen. Then I got so mad that I couldn't fall asleep if I had tried.

You probably know what happened. After walking Sean Casey to load the bases, with two outs, Stanton got Ken Griffey, Jr. to fly out to center. But of course, the Mets being the Mets, Mike Cameron loses the ball in the sun and it drops right next to his glove, scoring three runs.

That's a bad loss. A bad, bad, bad, bad loss. Tom Glavine didn't pitch great - but he pitched well enough. And at the very least, he should have gotten a no decision. Instead, he gets an "L". Horrible. Glavine gave up just two earned runs, so his ERA is now 2.11. That leads the majors. And he's just 7-4. Unreal.

Hopefully the Mets will bounce back. But now they have to face the Yankees. People are already saying they'll be happy if the Mets at least keep the games close. Come on, people. The thing going for the Mets here is that the Yankees have been beating up on weak pitching all season. The Mets have the best pitching staff in the game right now (statistically speaking). Good pitching beats good hitting, so they say.

Highlights from yesterday's game included a home run by THE GREATEST BALLPLAYER WHO EVER LIVED, Jose Reyes, his first of the season, a 2-run shot, accounting for all of the Mets runs. Also, for the second straight day, Mike Piazza had 3 hits, raising his batting average to .319. Cliff Floyd also had 3 hits. But the Mets lost, so who really cares. Man, that was a horrible loss.

The good news is there won't be anymore Carlos Beltran speculation. Beltran was traded to the Astros last night in a three-team deal involving the Astros, Royals, and A's. Now let the Freddy Garcia speculation begin.

WRIGHT WATCH: David Wright went 1-for-3 last night for Norfolk, with a double and a walk. He also struck out. The 1-for-3 night dropped his average to .351.

No comments: