Monday, May 24, 2004

Mets 4, Rockies 0 (22-22, 3 GB)

Sunday, May 23, 2004

Well, I'm back, and so's the website. And the Mets are back to .500. Didn't think it was going to happen, did you? All we were hoping for was the Mets to be within striking distance by the time they started playing the Phillies and Marlins. Well, they've done a bit better than that - 3 games out, with 12 straight games against Florida and Philly. (Tomorrow I'll do an NL East recap, since the Mets are off tonight.)

As an FYI - last year, the Mets went 7-12 in the season series against both Philadelphia and Florida. They need at least .500 this year. And they can do it...my prediction: in these next 12 games, the Mets will go 8-4. First place, here we come! (Sounds weird that this can actually happen, but I really feel that it can.)

A couple of things about Tom Glavine's performance yesterday. First of all, he's having an outstanding season. Second of all, I will reiterate my earlier prediction that one Mets pitcher will throw a no-hitter this year. They're just pitching that well. Thirdly, and don't get mad, I think it's my fault Glavine lost the no-hitter. The game wasn't available to me on the Extra Innings package, so I was following the progress on ESPNEWS and by calling my dad. When it got to be 7.1, I realized ESPN usually pops in at about this time, so I switched over, and saw that there were 2 out in the 8th. The first batter I see - boom - double to right. Un-freakin'-believable. I don't know if I'm ever going to see a Mets no-hitter. Oh wait, I just predicted one for this season. So I guess I will see one - this year.

A few notes on the events of the past couple of weeks: Kaz Matsui might indeed break Rickey Henderson's career leadoff homerun record. Every one he hits is a leadoff homer...I watched the Mets lose, 12-5, in the first game in Arizona two weeks ago. (Bank One Ballpark's nice, but I liked Minute Maid better, as a new park.) After the Mets lost the next game, things weren't looking so great. Then Glavine beat Randy Johnson, and I go to Hawaii, and the Mets start winning incredible games. Comebacks against the Astros, Cardinals, then the Rockies series. You get the sense something good's happening, don't you. (With that said, Mets, please don't blow these next 12 games.)...I have to admit, I think I was rooting against Glavine throwing a no-hitter yesterday. If a Mets pitcher is going to throw a no-no, it'd better happen while I'm at least watching the game, if not AT the game. Like I've said, it's the least they can do for me...I just reminded myself, before I left, my last posting asked the Mets to throw a no-hitter in Arizona when I went to the game. Instead, James Baldwin got rocked. Oh well...Oh, and when did the Mets release Raul Gonzalez, and why? I just read about that the other day. That's too bad. I kind of liked him. Time to turn my attention to Esix Snead.

No comments: