Tuesday, April 19, 2005

TO THE VICTORS!

Mets 16, Phillies 4 (NYM: 7-7, PHI: 7-7)

It's tough to single anyone out for a great performance on Tuesday night, because everyone was great. But the headline nod goes to Victors Diaz and Zambrano, who both ranked among the offensive stars for the Mets.

THE GREATEST BALLPLAYER WHO EVER LIVED, Jose Reyes, set the tone for the night by leading off the game with a home run. It was one of a team-record 7 home runs for the Mets on the night, and one of two for Reyes. Victor Diaz also added two, and Victor Zambrano had a two-run triple in the fifth inning, granting him status as an offensive star.

Zambrano didn't have the best night on the mound, giving up a couple of bombs himself, but he finished up OK. Zambrano gave up just two earned runs in six innings, striking out 5. Most importantly, he settled down when things got rough, and kept the Mets in the game early. He loaded the bases in the first inning with no one out, but got a double play ball from Jim Thome, instead of allowing the Phillies to break the game open.

Monday night, though, was all about the Mets' offense. The Mets scored at least a run in the first six innings - knocknig around Vicente Padilla (making his first start of the year), and Gavin Floyd. Besides the four home runs out of Reyes and Diaz, Mike Piazza, Doug Mientkiewicz, and future Hall of Famer David Wright went deep. Wright's was a grand slam, and most likely proves that he reads my website. Yesterday I said Wright needed a big game to get back on track offensively, a la Milwaukee last year. What does he do? A 2-for-4 night, 3 runs, 4 RBI, and the homer. Way to go, David.

I think this game was huge for the Mets. Citizens Bank Park is supposed to be a hitter's park, and every time the Mets had been there, they didn't really light it up. I think they had some decent games there last year, but by no means anything like this. So that's got to give a team some offensive confidence. Now hopefully the Mets can take this to Florida, and then against Washington, and build another winning streak. This is a pretty big stretch, considering it's April - there's a lot of games against division opponents in a row....and the Mets are holding their own.

Time to check the mailbag:

"johnny,

Here's the rub...Im getting into the Mets this year. I really like watching Pedro, Reyes, Wright and Beltran are exciting, and I still think every Piazza at-bat is a potential for something incredible to happen.

Obviously my top priority is still the Yanks, but these New look Mets are something special...That being said...I CANT WATCH THE METS DURING THE WEEK. Time Warner and Cablevision are having another one of their pissing contests. When they first took MSG off and replaced it with NBATV i was happy, because i am one of 17 NBA fans left in the country, and being forced to watch knick games was making that fandom precarious at best. But then baseball season started, and i feel like Im missing out. Thank god for channel 11 on the weekends.

so, my question is this...You stayed in Boston, claiming its because you have a job there and a "wife". Is the real reason because you knew three years later it would be easier to see the new look 2005 mets in New England than it would be in Queens?

Justin "big house" schrager..(clarence "big house" gaines died today, and Im taking his name, dammit)"

Justin - I don't care what you call yourself, I'm just so glad you wrote!

First of all, I'm not sure what happened to all your capitalizations and apotrophes - I think some e-mail gets screwed up in my e-mail system, and I didn't want to mess with the content of your e-mail.

Secondly, I'm sorry for you. I don't know what I'd do if I was in New York right now. Luckily, my parents now have RCN, so it wouldn't be a problem for me there, but the fact remains I definitely think it stinks that I can get every Mets game 200 miles away, while someone down the street from Shea can't get any.

I am very glad to hear, though, that you're on board with these Mets. I'm glad to hear you appreciate the excitement they can generate. This is going to be a good year.

Wednesday night is another night I will be "watching" the Mets on ESPN's revamped Gamecast. Let's hope it goes as well as Tuesday night's did. Aaron Heilman tries to repeat Friday night's outing against the Marlins, this time in Florida.

No comments: