Wednesday, March 09, 2005

Not much going on down in Florida. The Mets had their spring training game rained out on Wednesday, and scheduled starter Pedro Martinez* threw a simulated game instead.

Steve Trachsel will start in Fort Lauderdale against the Orioles. He's reportedly added a slider to his repertoire this year, and plans on unveiling it in that game.

The only other noteworthy thing is that Mike Cameron has come out and said he doesn't want to be traded. Well, thanks for finally coming around, Mike. This upsets me a wee bit. Here's why. Cameron is all whiny and unhappy about moving to right field because the Mets added someone who is considerably better than him (and almost all other major league baseball players) with the glove and the bat at his position. So Cameron raises a stink, says I'm not happy about switching positions, I want a trade. He hangs around until he sees what the Mets have on the field, and realizes, hey, this isn't so bad...we're actually a decent team. I think I want to hang around here. So he tells his agent to tell the Mets, if you're looking to trade me because you think I want to be traded, then forget it. I don't want to be traded. It's just the epitome of the spoiled ballplayer.

I think Cameron realized a couple of things: 1) He does not like playing center field at Shea Stadium (evidenced by his pathetic performance there last season....maybe not pathetic, I should probably say disappointing). 2) There was a good amount of pressure on him to relieve the Mets' defensive woes last season, and he didn't exactly meet those expectations (remember missing the cutoff man against Minnesota when the Mets were swept? That still sticks in my craw.). I bet Cameron sees himself having a big season because he's in a very low-pressure slot - batting seventh and playing right field. (At least I see him having a big year.) And 3) Cameron and Cliff Floyd are really, really good friends, and Floyd probably convinced him to lay off the trade talk, because he needs Cameron to be a good right fielder so other teams don't notice that Cliff Floyd is the only defensive weak link on the team (outside of maybe catcher).

Anyway, that's about all I have for today. 25 days until Opening Day.

No comments: