Wednesday, February 23, 2005

Today I'm going to take a look at the probable Mets' lineup for 2005.

1. Jose Reyes - SS
2. Kaz Matsui - 2B
3. Carlos Beltran - CF
4. Mike Piazza - C
5. Cliff Floyd - LF
6. David Wright - 3B
7. Mike Cameron - RF
8. Doug Mientkiewicz - 1B
9. (Pitcher)

I'm seeing lineups where Matsui is the leadoff hitter and where Reyes is the leadoff hitter. I think Reyes will end up the leadoff hitter (where he finished last season), and Matsui number two, where he is better suited. I really like those two setting the table for Beltran*.

After Beltran, I'm worried. The way it looks right now, Piazza-Floyd could be the weakest 4-5 in the majors. Piazza says he will pace himself more this year, since he will be catching all the time, and try to give himself more rest. He says he knows that he has more pop in his bat when he's rested. Unfortunately, that was the idea when he was moved to first base last year (to rest him), and he didn't light it up at the plate at all. Floyd looked awful at the plate for most of last year. Hopefully he has the injuries beat, and he starts hitting. But right now, I'm not too psyched about the Mets' 4-5 hitters. (FYI - Last year - Piazza: .266, 20 HR, 54 RBI...Floyd: .260, 18 HR, 63 RBI)

I am very psyched about 6-8. I don't think THE GREATEST BALLPLAYER WHO EVER LIVED, David Wright, will be hitting in the sixth spot for very long. As he gets more comfortable at the major league level, I see him moving at least to the fifth spot, perhaps even higher. As for Cameron and Mientkiewicz, I hope, first of all, that they don't pout, and realize that 7 and 8 are the best spots for them in this lineup (that goes mainly for you, Mientkiewicz, you big mouth). I think Cameron will benefit most, because he will be pressure-free in the 7 spot, and I think he will thrive there. Mientkiewicz I expect a high average from, but not much production elsewhere.

Then there's the pitcher, which I will comment on probably tomorrow (their pitching, not their hitting).

And one other thing that I just realized - at the end of last year, I took the GREATEST BALLPLAYER WHO EVER LIVED designation away from Reyes because of the injuries, but I did NOT give it to David Wright. I referred to Wright as future Hall of Famer. I forgot, my bad. It's not that I disrespect Wright, it's just that Reyes has the speed, which gives him all the tools to be THE GREATEST BALLPLAYER WHO EVER LIVED. Now he's just got to show me that he's healthy enough to earn back the title. So scratch the two references to Wright as THE GREATEST BALLPLAYER WHO EVER LIVED from your memories...and if you need to, replace them with the precursor "Future Hall of Famer". I promise to correct the errors in the future.

No comments: